Feb

Probability the scariest part of the CCIE pursuit was when I noticed that my fingers were getting numb and that my wrists were starting to ache really bad. I guess it was no surprise given the absurd amount of router configurations that had recently been hammered away at the keyboard. I also never learned a formal typing method and do this crazy hybrid hunt and peck thing that seems to work for me somehow.

Well, way back then Brian McGahan told meĀ  – go the Doctor immediately. Wisely pointing out that the mil Carpal Tunnel could get much, much worse and even necessitate surgery; something that has recently happened with a sign language-speaking friend of mine.

So if you find yourself in a similar situation – do just that – go to a doctor. I am not that smart however. I did my own research and found some products I would like to share with you that made it all go away – thank goodness!

I purchased these braces and would sleep each night with them. They were magic, and provided relief immediately. And it was awesome only having to wear them at night. Here is what they looked like:

I now use one keyboard on all of my systems if possible. It is the Microsoft Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard 7000 and I could not live without it.

Well – just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this issue – and perhaps some preventative measures are awesome so that you never have to feel the pain that I did.

Happy and healthy studying!

12 Responses to “Earn your CCIE the Healthy Way”

1. Burhan says:

Hey

ur stories alyz keep us rocking hehe we all want you to share your journey to CCIE and your professional life with us plz….

2. Chris Riling says:

You are always a wealth of useful information :)

3. amit chopra says:

hehehe…..

Excellent Stuff… Keep it up :)

4. John D says:

Thanks so much for this tip. Both of my wrists are messed up, and I never thought about it being carpal tunnel. I always thought it was from my previous sports injuries. I’m going to try these out!

5. Eric Phillips, #23378 says:

Hey, thanks for the link, I know my forearms would go numb and get really cold after typing for 10+ hours at a time, so I will need to check out those wristguards.

6. Piotr Kaluzny says:

Guys, also watch out for your back. Try to hold your spine in healthy position – always. L5-L6 discopathy may lead to headaches, dizziness, neck stiffness and much more.

Also don’t let your knees rest at the edge of your desk. When you develop symptoms like foot numbness/tingling, it may not be clear for a doctor what is the cause (e.g. entrapment neuropathy), especially when examinations are not unambiguous which might be the case here.

Actually many entrapment neuropathies (Carpal Tunnel is an exception) may develop symptoms which accompany some serious neurological disorders. This really may turn your life into a nightmare. Believe me, you don’t want to go through this.

Regards,
    Piotr Kaluzny

7. Ahriakin says:

While it sounds contrary to what you’d think would help bao-ding balls (or Chinese Health Balls as they are sometimes called over here) can really help. I had terrible RSI after a few years of working in IT and I started using them, haven’t had a problem since.

8. Declan says:

I just want to note that wrist splints not always help. Be aware of carpal tunnel syndrome and its effects, some of which might be career ending. Have moderation working with computers. No CCIE is worth your health, you not being able to sleep because of pain or numbness, you dropping objects off your hand or not being able to work/earn you living with what you love.
    Have moderation and balanced life – don’t have a hobby that’s just continuation of your 9hours job.

Best of luck!
    Declan

9. Roger Perkin says:

I used to get wrist pain when working on my laptop using the touchpad, this mouse saved my wrists. Instant relief and since I started using it I have never had a twinge since.

Roger

10. Jeriel Atienza says:

Hi

This is the most important post of this entire blog, health and health, without it no pings, no traceroute … Sometimes my cpu crash (head) due to stress, anybody know any match or/and set to alleviate this.

Keep up a good work stuff.
    Cheers

11. Wouter Prins says:

Jeriel,
    It helps to police your control plane.

12. JC.Bogard says:

I am a lucky man, my wife bought me wireless ergo keyboard. I am thinking that the braces may be a good idea when I sleep. I am new to the site what I do know who you are… I was wondering what your lab looks like…? Thanks for the info, I look forward to reading more from you.