Mar

Question: What is the recommended way to use the product?
Answer: We recommend at the very least doing a four-question simulation each day during your studies. The simulation should quickly pinpoint your weak areas that require additional reading/study.

Question: How many total questions are there?
Answer: We are adding questions every day initially, and then we will add to the database at least every week. We will always offer a method to view all questions no matter how big the database becomes.

Question: The engine graded me wrong for typing the required phrase slightly different. Will it be like this in the actual exam?
Answer: Our engine looks for exact phrases. In the actual Core Knowledge section, a proctor will grade your questions manually so do not let this be a concern. Cisco also announced that spelling and grammar will not count against you. In our simulation, always review the grading to ensure you were indeed correct or incorrect. For convenience in grading, always be as brief as possible with your response. For example, enter “24 bits” instead of a phrase like “the prefix will be 24 bits in length.”

Question: I cannot change my answer after I click Submit and go Back. Is that how it is in the actual lab exam?
Answer: No, in the actual exam you can go back and change answers. We will work on modifying our engine if we can to support in this future revisions.

Question: The simulations (4 question and 20 question) seem to take a long time to load initially? Is this normal?
Answer: Yes, the simulation will load almost instantly, and then the question engine takes from 15 seconds to 1 minute to randomly create your question pool.

Question: Are these questions like the actual questions we will face?
Answer: Just like all of our training materials – overall – we tend to make our simulations a bit more difficult than the real thing. Yes, we observed samples distributed by Cisco as we generated these questions.

Question: What other details about the Core Knowledge section of the actual lab exam can Internetwork Expert share with me?
Answer: Here is a list of facts about this new section:

• You must complete this portion of the exam before you start the traditional configuration portion.
  • You have a total of 30 minutes to complete this section, you may finish early if you like and immediately begin your configuration section.
  • You will receive 4 questions via the computer and you must provide short answers using the computer interface. The questions are not oral in nature. Typical responses require 4 to 5 words at most.
  • Spelling and/or grammar does not count against you.
  • The questions are manually graded by a proctor. If you purchase an exam re-read, they will re-grade your question responses.
  • You may not return to the short answer questions once you have begun the configuration portion of the lab exam.
  • You will not receive a score when you complete this section, but you must pass this portion to pass the CCIE. You will receive your score in the open-ended section if you fail the exam. The score is reported as 0% or 100% (pass or fail). You may only miss one question in the section in order to pass.
  • Most students finish the 4 to 5 questions in approximately 12 minutes.
  • The configuration portion of the exam has been reduced to accommodate this initial 30 minutes.
  • You still have a total of 8 hours that makeup the open-ended questions and the configuration portion.
  • You may not access the DOC-CD to answer these questions.

23 Responses to “Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Regarding the CCIE R/S Core Knowledge Simulation”

1. luisgarcia says:

I don’t see this product in my membership account. Will the end to end customers have access to this?

2. Carlos Yoncon says:

I dont think this is related to the FAQs, but I hope it can help you with the product.
    I just returned from my first attempt RS Lab on RTP.
    Regarding the open-ended questions some of them were too open-ended to be qualified as short answer, and others were too closed.
    4 questions, 30 mins max to answer, and 7.5 hours (actually 7 without the lunch break)for the lab portion.
    Scored pretty good on the lab section, about 80% total on average. But those open-ended core knowledge section just sucked!
    I’m a CCNP and the quetions I got were directed for a CCNA level. I’m pretty sure I answered 4 out of 4, but as you can guess the score report for the core section was 0%, probably the best case is that I failed 2 of 4.
    In my opinion i’m possitive about the addition of these questions, however i’m not clear how’s the Cisco Certification team goin to cut out the braindumpers with that grading policy.
    I mean, the answers to the questions were totally subjective (as they already qualified them as OPEN ENDED), really this is making me think that 1. they don’t want more people to be certified, 2. looking for an excuse to make the exam 250 more expensive (i was surely thinking about a regrade, but eh,…whatever).
    Don’t missuderstand me. The exam has not got harder because of these quetions, but thats the whole point. Open ended questions, not by themself but more on the grading policy, has nothing to do with experience, practice and preparation for the lab exam. Still don’t understand the whole point of the questions if they are going to be graded on an all on nothing basis, roughly 21 points of your exam dependend on 2 questions.

3. navfett says:

How often will this product be updated? The description says ” frequently updated at no cost to our users. ”

Also when it does get updated, how do we as customers receive the updated product?

4. Hamood says:

Totally agree with Carlos , and I see no point from the open-ended . This is only a repetaion for the written exam and If they fail to brain dump the written what will make Cisco succeed in the open-ended , I don’t understand this .

5. Jeff says:

I haven’t sat any lab yet, and obviously haven’t encountered these in the “real thing”.

Overall though, I’m still not against Cisco adding this to the lab. I do however feel they should target 75% (3 of 4) of the questions from “core” topics such as L2 and IGP/BGP technologies with the 4th one from secondary topics, and keep them reasonably within the scope of general knowledge a CCIE would be expected to know such such as STP basics, OSPF area, LSA, and interface type behavior, basic IGP or BGP policies, etc. This could also be considered CCNP-level knowledge too though, so…

Just my two-cents worth.

6. Hi Navfett – we are currently adding questions almost everyday!

Once you subscribe – the updated appear in your Member’s Site automatically. You do not need to do anything to receive them!

7. DY says:

How do you purchase this product alone? I would like to do so.

Thanks!

8. Dellboy says:

I see this is a new product and you have to purchase it.I thought it would be included in the R&S bundle.

9. navfett says:

Hi.

Thank you for the reply, and great to hear that the product is constantly being updated.

10. chang says:

After I purchase.. How long use core simulation?

11. chang says:

How many about total questions are there persent?

12. There is no time limit to how long you can use the product. It will remain in your subscriptions indefinitely. Right now I believe there are about 250 questions in the total pool. More are being added weekly as well.

13. Annie says:

i’ve purchase the product..looks good to me..at least i will get refreshed everyday .. with the quiz..

14. Josh says:

Can anyone who has both seen the actual questions and utilized the core knowledge simulation confirm or deny whether or not the simulation is adequate at preparing for the actual question section? I’ve noticed that the simulation typically calls for one value answers such as prefixes, port #s, commands, terminology. However, there are mixed reports regarding the actual questions requiring more paragraph-like answers in some cases. In short, aside from ‘read everything’, what will effectively prepare us for passing the question section?

15. Hi Josh!

Cisco provides a couple of actual samples and has made it clear the four questions should take about 5 to 10 minutes to answer. They also indicate it typically takes just four to five words for each.

Our grading engine is such that it looks to match an exact phrase. Keep in mind the actual Cisco questions are not graded by a machine so the grading will be more flexible.

Here is a link so you can see the actual samples from Cisco:

16. Annie says:

I’m still confused/unclear bout the open-ended questions..when it says Core section will be tested, which one does it include? IGP, BGP, Switching and Multicast only?

Thanks..

17. Hi Annie!

The Core Knowledge section features questions potentially drawn from the entire Lab Blueprint. Please note – it is the entire Lab blueprint – not the written blueprint.

18. Annie says:

thanks…

19. Arwin Erasga says:

thanks…

20. Hwan says:

Core Knowledge Simulation is the actual test questions?

21. No – they are similar to the types of questions you will face. We never publish actual exam materials as this is a violation of Copyright and the Non Disclosure Agreement we signed with Cisco.

22. Bert says:

My god! There are some questions about RFC numbers..
    This worries me, which numbers should we know and which not?
    Some are commonly used like 1483,1918 and 3330 but what about those those PIM ones??

23. If it is in our Core Knowledge Sim – we all felt it was worth knowing.