Jun

Hi everyone,

been quiet for a while, had to travel a lot last week. We have posted the updates to the IEWB-SC VOL1 “Hotfix” section:

IOS CA

Gateway – H.323
T1 CAS
Route Groups
Route Lists
Route Patterns
Local Route Group

As for R&S, we’re currently working on the new addition to VOL1, which outlines the troubleshooting process in general, defines strategies and provides troubleshooting examples. This is to be released the next month. In addition to that, we’re preparing separate troubleshooting labs to be delivered in addition to VOL2 scenarios. Those will use separate topologies and will use a trouble-ticket pool that we develop. As for technology updates, we’re hindering that a bit and giving more priority to the troubleshooting scenarios. Personally I believe that adding troubleshooting to the CCIE R&S lab is the most important change, as it affects the whole lab strategy

There were people asking for our new R&S rack topology. We delayed that announce, because the one we’re currently working with would probably be expensive for many people using their own racks. We’re looking for a ways to implement our workbooks on a hybrid, less expensive topology. But if you want to know what being used now – it’s 5x1841s for R1, R2, R4, R5 and R6 and one 2811 for R3. All cabling connections and switches remain unchanged. If you would pick up that topology, you wont miss anything (well maybe some money); but if you’re trying to minimize the upgrade expenses, we’ll do our best to make that possible.

Happy studying!

About Petr Lapukhov, 4xCCIE/CCDE:

Petr Lapukhov's career in IT begain in 1988 with a focus on computer programming, and progressed into networking with his first exposure to Novell NetWare in 1991. Initially involved with Kazan State University's campus network support and UNIX system administration, he went through the path of becoming a networking consultant, taking part in many network deployment projects. Petr currently has over 12 years of experience working in the Cisco networking field, and is the only person in the world to have obtained four CCIEs in under two years, passing each on his first attempt. Petr is an exceptional case in that he has been working with all of the technologies covered in his four CCIE tracks (R&S, Security, SP, and Voice) on a daily basis for many years. When not actively teaching classes, developing self-paced products, studying for the CCDE Practical & the CCIE Storage Lab Exam, and completing his PhD in Applied Mathematics.

Find all posts by Petr Lapukhov, 4xCCIE/CCDE | Visit Website

19 Responses to “INE Product Updates”

1. CiscoLover says:

Hi

Thanks for updates

Does 2600XM series fit the bill ? as those routers support IOS c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9 and it should be enough. It is similar to Security Lab Blueprint.

2. Yanchong says:

Just done with AAA part and now comes IPS part! Great material, and I’ve learned a lot from the new version of SC volume I!

3. Rizzo says:

Hi Petr

Nice one.

Please don’t forget to introduce Troubleshooting Sections for Security WBs, as it’s vital in Security Lab too.

Please take look here about Troubleshooting part.

AUTHOR: Yusuf Bhaiji
    DATE: Dec 2008

Regards

• Here is the thing: the troublehshooting in the SC lab is “integrated” – i.e. you have to resolve issues while you configure things, like opening pinholes, dealing with “side-effects” etc. As for R&S, they will offer a separate new 2 hours lab, dedicated to troubleshooting. The only labs of that kind that I have seen previously were in CCNP CIT exam (flash-based sims though). This is what sets the R&S apart from other exams. Though i’m pretty sure they will be bringing the same thing to other tracks, so far we only have to deal with R&S (luckily! :)

4. John Spaulding says:

Just took a look at ipexperts new workbooks (R&S 4.0) and I have to say….I have been very impressed with the quality of your workbooks…Must be why I use them for my studies :) keep the updates coming good work guys

5. Paul says:

I am in the process of building my home rack to make a start on my lab prep with your R&S vol1 product. I have 2 x 1841, 2 x 2651xm and 2 x 3725 routers.

All of these routers with the T train of 12.4 seem to support MPLS VPN.

Would these routers suffice?

Many thanks,

Paul

6. John says:

Hello Petr,

what about troubleshooting sections for dynamips ? so we don`t need to purchase the routers at all….. I have used dynamips around one year and it works just fine…. i use 3725 routers in whole lab and it work just fine… the IOS image I use on these 3725 is: c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin and all connections are the same as Dynamips Lab Workbook…..

Best regards

7. John says:

here is what I have purchased and it works just fine ….

so I am asking about the troubleshooting sections for dynamips and the “mpls” section for dynamips… which is also added…

• The new rack cabling will remain the same; Thus, provided that you change your dynamips routers to the ones supporting MPLS, you will be able to play with the new topics. We will incorporate the MPLS sections in the DYN workbook as well, as this does not require a crazy amount of work :) As for the troubleshooting scenario, they will run perfectly on dynamips, since most troubleshooting will involve L3 issues or higher.

8. Rizzo says:

@Paul

Well, I got most of 2600XM router but you need 48MB Flash and at least 192MB RAM to run c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin file. I am using them for Security Rack. They are very good routers unless you really need SSL VPN.

I haven’t test MPLS features on them but someone from IE or other will confirm that.

I am not sure about IOS versions for switches. I don’t know which versions of codes will work for both R&S BluePrints.

9. Piotr Kaluzny says:

Petr,

Is there any rough estimation of when we can expect full release of Sec vol I & II WBs? I totally understand that quality needs patience but having an outline would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Piotr Kaluzny

10. John says:

Thank You very much for answer Petr!!

All routers I use just now supports the MPLS, so there is no problems about that…

Need just workbooks :) for MPLS and troubleshooting sections……. for dynamips

Best regards

11. Yanchong says:

Can I name INE’s product update blog as “CCIE FOCUS” :)

12. Scott says:

So after further evaluation: Based on the new requirements. I went with this. It needs to support the advanced enterprise services 12.4T
    I went with:
    3 x 2610XM 256D/48F (required upgrades)
    2 x 2651XM 256D/48F (required upgrades)
    1 x 2811 (maybe another 2610XM 256D/48F)
    2 x 2501
    1 x 2511
    1 x 2523
    4 x 3550 (cannot afford 4 3560 yet).

1 x NM-4A/S (R3)
    4 x WIC-2T (R1, R2, R4, R5)
    1 x WIC-1T (R1)

Seems to me with the upgrades of the bootRom, DRAM and FLASH to the 2600XM series routers. You get the same advanced enterprise 12.4T set that the 5x 1841 and 1x 2811 provide.

What do you think? Sorry for so many posts, It helped me think things out with the other posts I saw in here.

13. Scott says:

Well scratch that, I had a few days to really research this. I looks like that the 2600xm series implements partial MPLS features, but not enough to really do MPLS VPN’s. I ended up returning some of my list. I decided to go with.

4 x 3725 (MPLS VPN (P routers) and IPv6)
    2 x 1841 (MPLS VPN (PE routers) and IPv6)
    1 x 3560
    4 x 3550 (still cannot afford to grab more 3560 yet.)

All the 2500′s that we need for BBx services and Terminal services.

I had 2 spare 2610XM’s maxed DRAM/F and I loaded the Advanced Enterprise Services and saw no real MPLS VPN support.

14. Scott says:

I was looking for feedback and really learned a ton in the past few days on equipment and IOS verions. While I may of been correct on the no real MPLS vpn support, that was the most current iOS versions I was looking at. If you go with what is actually used for the LAB, I found that EIGRP v6 was the main feature missing from the 2600XM series. I actually worked the people who I bought my equipment from and exchanged out. I found that even though the LAB now uses 5 x 1841 and 1x 3825, went with 6 x 3725… I will eventually cave and get 1 x 2811, but All the test materials are present in the IOS for the 3725. Now I understand the differences in the 3550 to the 3560, no Pvlan’s and QOS is an issue in the 3550. So I got 1 3560 so far, Ill probably get 1 more, I know the Lab requires 4.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my lab layout? Should I make any changes?

6 x 3725
    1 x 3560
    4 x 3550
    2 x 2501
    1 x 2511
    1 x 2523

15. Vicente says:

Hi Petr,

When are you planning to complete the Security Workbooks Volume 1 and Volume 2? I want to take de Security LAb exam in November but I am afraid the workbooks will not be completed by that time.

Regards

• hi Vicente – Petr is helping with the Voice BC this week – I wanted to provide an answer quickly here for you. Keith Barker is working on Volume 2 completion as I write this!

Not sure what is going on with V1 – we will be sure to post about that soon.