Jul

Probably one of the most difficult parts of the updated CCIE R&S exam will be the Troubleshooting section (you may check our recent poll to confirm that). So far, not much is known about this one. It has been announced that a separate topology will be used for this part of the exam, and the candidate will be required to obtain 80% of the total section score to pass is successfully. The exact amount of points allocated to this section is not know, but there should be around 10 “incidents” or “trouble tickets” covered.

Feeling that this section will be the most difficult to CCIE candidates, we started working on the new VOL4 part of our renowned IEWB-RS workbook. In this new product called “Advanced Troubleshooting Labs” we present you with ten scenarios each consisting of ten trouble tickets. This amount should be approximately equal to the number of the troubleshooting tasks you will encounter in the actual exam. The topology used for every scenario is the same that we use for all our RS products, including VOL1 (technology-focused labs), VOL2 (full-scale mock lab scenarios) and VOL3 (core technologies scenarios). You may already order the new product at introductory price and start practicing! New scenarios are to be added to VOL4 on regular basis (target rate is one-two new labs per week) so you should be fully covered by the time blueprint changes.

Our ultimate goal is not only prepare you for passing the Troubleshooting section of the CCIE R&S lab exam, but also to teach you a structured troubleshooting approach. As opposed to simple guessing and peeking at the routers running configurations you should learn using the debugging commands and interpreting various show commands output. For every ticket, we are going to follow the same structured procedure to resolve the issue and provide an in-depth illustration of the process.

You may find more information and sample material by following the Free Sample PDF Link at the product’s page IEWB-RS VOL4.

Good luck with your studies!

About Petr Lapukhov, 4xCCIE/CCDE:

Petr Lapukhov's career in IT begain in 1988 with a focus on computer programming, and progressed into networking with his first exposure to Novell NetWare in 1991. Initially involved with Kazan State University's campus network support and UNIX system administration, he went through the path of becoming a networking consultant, taking part in many network deployment projects. Petr currently has over 12 years of experience working in the Cisco networking field, and is the only person in the world to have obtained four CCIEs in under two years, passing each on his first attempt. Petr is an exceptional case in that he has been working with all of the technologies covered in his four CCIE tracks (R&S, Security, SP, and Voice) on a daily basis for many years. When not actively teaching classes, developing self-paced products, studying for the CCDE Practical & the CCIE Storage Lab Exam, and completing his PhD in Applied Mathematics.

Find all posts by Petr Lapukhov, 4xCCIE/CCDE | Visit Website

15 Responses to “New CCIE R&S Exam: Troubleshooting”

1. saj says:

Hi Petr,

I am now worried to see that the vol4 will be a seperate product .

I am going to attempt CCIE 4.0 .
    Yesterday I purchased the INE CCIE 2.0 program based on the assurance from INE Sales team that I will be eligible for the new products related to CCIE 4.0.

But I don’t see CCIE Workbook Vol4 added to my account.:(

2. Send an email to Mike Bishop (mbishop@ine.com) and he can help you out.

3. saj says:

Thank you Brian,I have emailed Mike Bishop

4. Malick Ndiaye says:

Hello IE Team,

just like Saj I had purchased the end-to-end program at full price. I have also upgraded to the CCIE 2.0 Live Edition which includes everything including the live Open Lecture Series. My question is will the new Volume 4 be added to my account free of charge since the end-to-end program guarantees that any new updates or changes will be free?

5. Haresh says:

Hello Petr,

Excellent job INE team for releasing Vol 4 troubleshooting section so quick. Your products are great, covers the technology in detail, in time, competitive price and best in the industry.

I would like to know if Vol 4 product is free to the current R&S members.

Thanks again for the Vol 4 troubleshooting section.

Regards,
    Haresh

6. Bob says:

Will CCIE SP also change to include this sort of exam?

7. Giorgio P. says:

INE has always updated their content whenever the exam changed free of charge. Specially for the electronic version of their workbooks I am sure it will happen again.

8. Drew says:

I am also disappointed that it is a separate product. I have purchased the COD, and all 3 volumes, now I have to purchase vol 4. Huge let down

9. Rizzo says:

Petr & INE Team,

I bought this one last night and this morning reviewed Lab1. I must say it’s also worth for Security Guys as well. I bought it because I wanted to see your approaches to handle problems and it’s always handy to know different ways to cure the problems. I love those Diagrams in solutions with very nice breakdown and show command results.

I love it although I am working toward Security Track.

Thanks

10. John Spaulding says:

I was shocked to see that the material is not part of the CCIE 2.0 program…Since the requirements have changed for the test I now feel like the program is half-complete….I am a huge fan of INE but I guess everyone has to make their money somehow and 99$ is not a bad deal. Hopefully I will pass in 6 days so I do not need this. Than I will have nothing more to complain about :) ..Still somewhat taken back by this..

11. Shai says:

ok – good news
    got OK from sales – all CCIE 2.0 customers will receive it for free ….

12. That makes me feel better, but, I´ll wait for the “official” word either here on the comments or somewhere else… so far no products were added into my account! Thanks!

13. John Spaulding says:

I just asked online I think there is still some confusion…this product requires an upgrade fee to all CCIE 2.0 which means its not FREE!!! just dont want to get peoples hopes up yet…

14. Vlad Snegovoy says:

I bought the CCIE 2 product about month ago and my members account has been updated today after logging a request with Sales. No panic.