Change is in the air. I’ve noticed that over the last several weeks, we’ve had at least five security CCIE candidates pass who used INE’s security products as part of their study plan. What these students have done is use a combination of our version 3 and version 5 products. Congratulations to all those who passed!

The rumor on the street is, that “IF” there were issues in the past with Cisco’s security lab, whether they were Java issues, or wording issues, etc. it seems that well-prepared candidates can now, based on results, pass this exam.  Better yet, with the update of our Vol 1 products, studying will be easier than ever.

As Brian mentioned, the roll-out of our updated volume 1 products is underway. Marvin and I would like to thank a handful of beta testers, who have done an outstanding job testing a few of our latest modules. Thank you very much for your assistance!

So you might ask, what’s new and exciting about the updates for security volume 1? I’m glad you asked!

Each of the new modules in volume 1 matches up identically with the sections from the current blueprint from Cisco. This means if you just want to focus on VPN technology, you can go to section 3 and have the entire VPN section to work with.  The same is true for ASA (module 1), IOS firewall (module 2) and the rest of the sections.

The ASA module is now complete and will be posted to the member’s area this afternoon, along with the startup configuration files for all of the individual racks.  The IOS firewall module, which I know sounds like a piece of hardware, (forgive my chuckle), is finishing beta testing today and will be posted in the members area shortly. As the other modules complete beta testing they will be posted to the members area, and will begin shipping the week of November 23.

Thank you, and good luck with your studies.

11 Responses to “Security- Volume 1, v5 update.”

1. John Spaulding says:

November 1st – John start studying for his SP :)

2. Ali says:

I dont see the ASA module in the member’s area yet? This is what I do see:

VPN (BETA) (Last Updated: 2009-07-04 17:42:43)
    Hotfix (BETA) (Last Updated: 2009-07-06 08:12:05)

Will it be a while before the updates appear in my account?

• Hello Ali- The ASA module posted on Wednesday and the IOS module posted on Thursday, both around 5:30pm Pacific Time. Perhaps you checked earlier than that.

I jumped in to verify, and here is what came up for me:

Section 1 Implement secure networks using Cisco ASA Firewalls (Last Updated: 2009-11-12 17:30:52)
      Tasks / Solutions Document
      Initial Configuration Files

Section 2 Implement secure networks using Cisco IOS Firewalls (Last Updated: 2009-11-12 17:33:05)
      Tasks / Solutions Document
      Initial Configuration Files

VPN (BETA) (Last Updated: 2009-07-04 17:42:43)
      Hotfix (BETA) (Last Updated: 2009-07-06 08:12:05)

If you don’t see the section 1 and 2 above, let us know!

3. Razvan says:

Thanks for the updates! I see auth-proxy in the IOS Firewall module but what about ASA CTP ?

• Razvan- Great question on the ASA Cut Through Proxy. The folks at Cisco put IOS Auth Proxy in Section 2, and they put “proxy authentication” in section 5, (the Identity Management section of the blueprint). That section is wrapping up as well for Volume 1, and has LDAP mappings, cut-through proxy (including http redirect to https for encrypted authentication), 802.1x (where we walk you through how to use a ROUTER as a supplicant to test your switch 802.1x configuration), and much much more.

Thanks again for the question.

4. Rizzo says:

Great stuff

Superb…I think your detailed answer have made very clear to us. Before that I was thinking why those ones are missing? hmmm.. Now I know where they goning to be. :) cool

5. Ali says:

I see it now. I must have checked before the updates.
    Thanks a lot.

6. tacack says:

I’m super excited to get going on this one and i’d the privilege to beta test these babies. I hope to get good enough (someday) to find alternate ways to solve this than already illustrated ( If that’s even possible! )

Again, Thanks a lot!

7. Ryan says:

So all of the modules are going to be posted online by the 23rd of November?