Jan

INE would like to thank Nadeem Rafi for this guest blog post on using GNS3 with Ubuntu! Nadeem is one of our prized CCIE 2.0 Self-Paced students currently studying hard for his CCIE R&S exam. You will often see Nadeem in the INE Online Community working with his fellow students. Nadeem is currently enjoying 100 rack rental tokens from Graded Labs for his excellent post here!

Installing and Dual Booting Ubuntu

Linux is a stable Operating System and applications that do intense calculations can be handled in a more optimized way, as compared to other proprietary Operating Systems. Perhaps one of the best things, however,  is the fact that it is free and can co-exist with other Operating Systems.

Ubuntu is more user friendly than many other Linux flavors, especially considering that almost everything works out of the box with most laptop installations.

Ubuntu can be obtained in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions from:

For more information about how to install and dual boot with Windows XP (XP installed first), visit:

For more information about how to install and dual boot with Windows Vista (Vista installed first), visit:

After you have installed and booted Ubuntu successfully, you can proceed to the installation of GNS3 and the supporting software.

GNS3 and Supporting Software Installation

Installation of GNS3 is quite simple.

Step 1 – SystemAdministration – open the Synaptic Package Manager. You will be prompted for a password. Use your login password here.

Step 2- In the search box, type gns3, which returns the GNS3 and Dynamips packages. Select both of the packages (mark for installation).  In the pop up window it will show all of the dependencies which these two packages require. Click Mark for these as well.  Click Apply and installation will start by downloading and configuring GNS3 + Dynamips along with all required applications.

e-pic-1

Step 3 – After successful installation, you will see the following icon: Applications – Education – GNS3 Graphical Network Simulator.

Step 4 – For a multi tab console we need to install the utility called konsole.  In the Synaptic Package Manager type konsole and install it as previously described.

For best results, it is now time to configure Ubuntu for ease of use with GNS3.

Configuring Ubuntu for GNS3

For best operation of GNS3, we will create some directories. This will help to have a managed hierarchy of folders and files. Note: file and folder names under Linux are case sensitive, so the best option is to use lowercase names in all situations.

Step 1 – Create one root context-enabled Explorer. Go to ApplicationsSystem Tools and right click File Browser. Select Add this launcher to desktop.

Step 2 – You will see a new shortcut on the desktop for the file browser. Right-click it and choose Properties. In the Properties box you will see a command similar to “nautilus –no-desktop –browser %U”, which we need to replace with “gksudo nautilus” (without quotes). Now whenever you launch this version of the file browser, it will launch in root context and anything opened within this browser will automatically operate in the root context.

e-pic2

Step 3 – Now we will create one more shortcut for GNS3; using the above method. The only difference will be the command line text “gksudo gns3”. This shortcut will help you to launch GNS3 in the root context.

e-pic3

Step 4 – Open explorer using your newly created shortcut (root context file browser). Click on File System and create one new folder named gns3 (all lowercase).

e-pic4

Step 5 – Inside the gns3 folder, create the following folders: images, projects, configs, ie, capture, and tmp.

• images will be used for storing images
  • projects will be used for storing .net files
  • ie will be the working directory for router temp files
  • capture will used for capturing network traffic
  • tmp will be used for temporary files created by GNS3

Configuring GNS3

Before we start configuring GNS3, you have to provide at least one IOS image, preferably in an unzipped format. Ensuring the image is unzipped will save  time when your routers boot and they will not need to unzip each time they are launched.

Step 1 – GNS3 requires to be run by the root account (admin account), for that we have created a shortcut which launches GNS3 in the root context. Launch Gns3 using this shortcut.

e-pic5

Step 2 – For the time being, cancel the first dialog box, and click on EditIOS Images and Hypervisors and click on the IOS Images in the newly opened window. (I assume that you have already placed one IOS Image of your choice into the /gns3/images folder). Please navigate to that folder and select your image, platform, and model accordingly. If you have a good Idlepc value, you can place it here also along with the default RAN for this IOS image. Do not forget to click on the Default image for this platform.

e-pic6

Step 3 – Now click on the External Hypervisors tab. Provide the proper working directory here /gns3/tmp and hit save 6 times. It will create 6 instances of Hypervisor.

e-pic7

Step 4 – Now go to EditPreferences and in the newly opened window, click on General and then on the General Settings tab. Configure this window as shown in following image, and replace the terminal command with the following:

NOTE: The blog software is truncating one of the two  hyphens (-) before the keyword new in the above command.

NOTE: This modification is only required if you want to use konsole (multi tab terminal emulator), otherwise you can leave it as is.

e-pic8

Step 5 – Now click on DynamipsDynamips and configure this window per the following graphic:

e-pic9

Step 6 – After applying the above configuration, press Test. If everything succeeded, you will see “Dynamips successfully started”. If you want to capture and examine packets, click on Capture and provide the path to your capture directory: /gns3/capture (this directory was created earlier). You also need Wireshark for packet analysis.

Creating the First Project

Step 1 – Go to your /gns3/projects folder and create one file and rename it test.net.  Right click it and chose “Open with”, then “Open with other application”. In the command line type gns3, and click open. NOTE: Next time you can open any .net file by double clicking it, (this is the way of handling .net files because of a bug in GNS3 for Linux).

Step 2 – From the node types area, drag two instances of a router 3700 to the middle of the workspace ( I used the 3700 image, if you have used any other supported image, then drag that platform). Connect the devices using the Connect tool and then run the topology using the Run button.

pic10

You are now ready to create your topologies and start emulating. Remember, you can save your topologies to your /gns3/projects directory for later usage.

Happy emulating everyone! :-)

76 Responses to “GNS3 on Ubuntu”

1. MrPaul says:

There isn’t a need to create more than one hypervisor. Dynamips will spread the load across X CPUs/Cores without that extra step.

I’m using dynamips on a dual cpu Xeon (dual core with hyperthreading == 8 cpus) and a full topology is spread out nicely between the cores. Verified this with top then pressing “1″.

2. Md Arif Imtiyaz says:

Asak Nadeem Rafi,

Thanks for this blog post on using GNS3 with Ubuntu. I wish you best of luck in CCIE preparation.

I also thanks and appreciate INE for encouraging student to contribute in a mission to discover internetworking.

Thanks and BestRegards
    Md Arif

3. Travis Newshott says:

Nadeem – great write up! Ubuntu is really putting out a great OS – with 9.10 it is tough to make up excuses not to use it for study purposes(or for all purposes really). GNS3 certainly appears more stable in Linux in my experience, as well as seeing a performance gain.

As a side note – why do you find the need to run GNS3 as root? I installed as root but run under my normal user account. Granted, I did configure my folders that GNS3 uses to be found within my /home directory, so it has r/w privileges to all of the directories therein.

4. Nadeem Rafi says:

Thanks for INE Team, for first guest article on their site.

Recently i have received one question about how to load green text on black automagically. Few fellows find it difficult to configure because of two different users contexts (root and normal user). It can be managed by going through following procedure.

For loading green text on black background, you need to enter following string in your gns3 settings (included in main post)

After installation of konsole and setting your gns3 config to above line open single console from gns3. This console should open in konsole software. From Konsole (terminal software) menu go to Settings -> manage profiles and create a new profile named gb, edit settings as you like e.g Green on Black. After you have created new profile delete default profile named shell. Close your terminal and open again all will be set to go.

in case any thing dont work please let me know.

HTH

5. Leo Gal says:

Hey guys,
    just a question, Did anyone tried to run GNS on windows using another dynamips on ubuntu? Were there any troubles or it works fine?
    Thanks

Leo

6. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ Paul,
    I am using Core2Duo, and with multiple instances its easier for CPU to take care of load balancing, this is always recommended way of operation from original developers. I ported this habit from windows to Linux. For me its kinda a default thing to do after every installation.

with above configs… on core2duo 2.0 GHz 7200 processor, i can load a lab with full configs, bgp, ospf, rip, etc and load never goes above 50%, with 124-15T6.

7. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ MD Arif,
    thanks for encouraging and you know INE is always ground breaking int this industry.

8. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ Tarvis

thanks for kind words, my this tutorial is written for 9.04 (which is quite stable and issues are well known as compared to 9.10).
    Running in root context can save few issues which can appear later on and random crashes with file permission errors.
    One interesting link for such issues.

9. Destination CCIE in 2010 says:

Nadeem, dude you are the MAN! Thanks for raising the bar for the rest of us. As someone who is totally fond of documentation–not to mention pretty good at it–I congratulate you on a nice job. In my opinion high-level engineers (CCIE types and the likes) should have under their belt of repertoires Linux/Unix. To that end, I had been feeling that it was time for me to acquire Linux knowledge and experience and your doc provided the impetus. I’ll let you know how the changeover goes.

10. Dorin says:

Nadeem, there is no need to run GNS3 under the root account on Ubuntu. There were some issues but on MacOS with the version 0.5.
    On Ubuntu just take care to create tun/tap interfaces with this command:
    #tunctl -u -t

11. Paul Pongco says:

Great writeup. Can you just confirm that with just a core 2 duo laptop running on Ubuntu, one can run the INE dynamips workbooks? What’s the memory on your PC?

THanks!

12. Jim T says:

Installing a dual boot Ubuntu/windows PC is now even easier with the Ubuntu Wubi Installer.

Wubi is a Windows .exe installer and it does all the hard work for you. You can then easily unistall Ubnutu from the Add/Remove Programs wizard in the Windows Control Panel. I have managed to use Wubi successfully on a Windows 7 64 bit PC with 8Gb of RAM.

Great article on getting GNS3 working with Ubuntu. Thanks.

13. GFC_CISCO says:

Nadeem,

First, congratulations on the article, very ver good my friend.

Second, i have a XUBUNTU and i installed the gns3 there, and to my surprise the CPU wasn’t quite good as WInXP :S, weird !!

What could be wrong?

And one last question, what IOS do you use for your CCIE R&S studies ?

thanks in advance !

14. Al says:

Hi, thanks a lot! But what about PEMU part? It never works for me with Ubuntu so I moved to CentOS.

15. Travis Newshott says:

Nadeem, I can appreciate the desire to simplify, I do prefer to run things as root as sparingly as possible. I find that tweaking file permissions to be a minor inconvenience in return for the benefits. Plus, my above mentioned solution in regards to /home avoids the file permissions issue almost entirely.

Again, well written article. I can speak to the fact that the install is just as painless in 9.10, even when using the command line.

16. Rami says:

Great post Nadeem! I was actually in the process of getting this setup for my SP lab preparation. I was wondering if you have any luck importing the INE topology into GNS3?

17. Lucho says:

It has been a couple of months since I last ran GNS3 in Ubuntu, though I remember that I had to run it as root when I wanted to connect to a loopback (tap) interface. I need to do that when I am connecting the router simulation to real world switches. I also wanted to send syslog & SNMP messages to services running in Ubuntu.

When splitting the simulation into 2 computers (for example, 1 running under Ubuntu and the other running under windows) remember that you cannot point to the dynamips service under localhost. You need to make it available through one of your interfaces so the other machine can reach it. The other machine cannot reach your loopback address of 127.0.0.1.

18. Nadeem Rafi says:

Thanks again every one for their encouraging words…

@Paul Pongco
    my specs are following.
    Processor: C2D 7200
    Memory: 4Gb (but this dell machine can provide max 3.25 GB, effective ram 3.25 GB)

IOS atm : Advance IP 124-15T6 (3725): on this IOS every thing on BP can be done including but not limiting to some part of Switching, OSPF, BGP, Zone based firewall. Feature navigator can be a good start to see more.

19. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ Jim T
    just two days ago i have moved to xp to win7, and Ubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10. Both OS are great. Have not tested GNS3 on win7. Dual booting is as painless as it can be. I have just installed Win7 (as i have upgraded hard disk too) and then installed 9.10 and no special config were required for dual boot. Every thing worked on first try.

20. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ GFC_Cisco

Problem with your cpu can be a bad Idlepc value. Give some more time to find out idlepc value, or try which i have shown in this article with related IOS. According to my experience, every idlepc value is unique to each computer but this combination have provided good results for others.

IOS: c3725-advipservicesk9.124-15.T6.bin
    Idlepc: 0x6271c1a0

HTH

21. Nadeem Rafi says:

@AL
    If i can remember i have run Pemu on Ubuntu some time ago( i think more than a year). But right now i am not using it.
    May be if there is a requirement i can write up one more article about Pemu.

22. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ Tarvis

I am totally agreed with you to run root as sparingly as possible, on some of mine production servers i do the same. But having a little time for labs, i prefer to do things with more ease. This approach gives me more time for labing instead of tweaking non-cisco stuff. You can say its Lazy part of mine side. :)

23. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ Rami

I have imported full topology of R&S for my studies and things works great.

24. Kadok0520 says:

may I translate your article to Chinese in myblog http://kadok0520.pixnet.net/blog

please

25. 2bccie says:

Hi Nadeem, thanks, would you please send me u r contact e-mail address.

26. Nadeem Rafi says:

@2bccie
    My email id is nrafia:::goawayspammers:::gmail.com

27. GFC_Cisco says:

Nadeem, i’ve found this ios > c3725-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T6.bin < Is this the one?

regards

28. Tom says:

Nice post Nadeem, but I run on to little problem when I should open the “Go to Applications – System Tools and right click File Browser” because I was only able to see the “konsole” which we have installed before… so I saw that I was on my own to create the File Browser link under the “System Tools” since I am working much with linux I`ll post how to for those who does not see the File Browser option under “System Tools” after installing fresh copy of the Ubuntu.

To install File Browser (Root)

1. sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/Nautilus-root.desktop

2. Insert the following lines into the new file
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=File Browser (Root)
    Comment=Browse the filesystem with the file manager
    Exec=gksudo “nautilus –browser %U”
    Icon=file-manager
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Application;System;

3. Refresh the GNOME Panel
    killall gnome-panel

Hope this helps….
    Best regards
    Tom

29. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ GFC_Cisco
    yes this is the IOS which i am using.

30. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ Tom
    Thanks for putting this bit of information for those who dont have browser visible. Other simple way is to put a short for any opened file location to desktop and then edit the command line. It will also do the magic.
    Thanks again for being helpful.

31. Tom says:

@ Nadeem
    You`re very welcome dude, I know it is also possible to do it on the way You described it…
    But I tought since we are working with CLI it would be better for those who will learn more about Linux… ;)

Best regards
    Tom

32. newbeus says:

Everything seem to work well with one issue. Thank you, I have an issue with the Konsole. When I start the project, the konsoles starts but will not remain. What are some options.

33. Nadeem Rafi says:

@Tom
    Thanks for your help sure persons will feel better having more than one option :)

@ newbeus

Good or bad thing about Konsole, it will remain open only when your routers are running. when sessions are dropped Konsole will close.

34. Eniola Olaleye says:

Hello Nadeem,
    Compliments of the season.
    Can dynamips work with ubuntu as well?
    I will appreciate your speedy reply. Thanks in advance

35. Nadeem Rafi says:

@eniola

Gns3 is not an emulator, its basically a front end for Dynamips. So its sure it will work, i have used it before without GNS3, these were days, when GNS3 was not born :)

36. newbeus says:

Nadeem:

Thanks for the reply. I did not make the issue clear.

When I start the project, the konsoles starts, but only remains for ~ one second and then drops out while the routers are running.

Not being a Linux expert, I was able to get the konsoles to remain by changing the command to the following. /usr/bin/konsole – profile “gb” –new-tab -p tabtitle=%d-e telnet %h %p >/dev/null 2>&1 &

But it created new individual konsoles instead of one konsole with multiple tabs. Any hints?

37. Nadeem Rafi says:

@newbeus

This is first time i have come across this issue. BTW, just copy past the line mentioned in the begining of the blog. Your line copied has some syntax errors. This is reason its only opening individual consoles.
    If it is not resolved, contact with me on the mail given few posts above. Some kind of remote help i can initiate.

Best Regards,

38. Eniola Olaleye says:

Hello Nadeem,

Thanks for your prompt response Nadeem, what I really mean to ask is that can one use Dynagen as a front end for Dynamips on Ubuntu? If so, what are the installation steps? Also, is it true that Ubuntu only works well on Dell laptops? I have an HP laptop and I am sort of worried that Ubuntu may not work well on it. Please reply very soon. Cheers.

39. orestis says:

Great post Nadeem

I have run also without any problems (and still running pemu,dynamips,olive) on my various boxes (32bit-64bit fedora/(k)ubuntu/suse, even gentoo). Olive (simulator for juniper) is also running fine as well and i have run tests with combinations of VMware (w2k3 with ACS, CentOS for MRTG && sla), pemu, olive ,dynamips and Quagga without problems. I have the feeling that GNS is some-how slower than using the cli for dynamips/dynagen at least in the Linux platform. I don’t know if this is related with the package that ubuntu provides in repositories which is not the latest one (dynamips:0.2.8RC2-1 and gns:gns3-07rc1) or due to application code (friends that run in on MacOS say its faster). In any case i prefer the power of cli since you can do everything.

Cheers
    Orestis

40. Nadeem Rafi says:

@Eniola Olaleye
    yes, it is possible, and if person feel comfortable with dynagen (front end), then its much better solution.
    Ubuntu is supposed to work well with all kind of Laptops. Personally i feel Dell laptops are good. And i have only dell laptop with me, so will not comment any thing on other laptops.

41. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ orestis

Yes, your are correct. My personal observations are also same. GNS3 is a bit slower than bare bone
    dynagen solution. Ease of GNS3 is trade off performance, but this performance loss is not much evident. If you got cpu utilization lower than 60-70%, that should be sufficient to do lab with stability.

42. [...] Linux is a stable Operating System and applications that do intense calculations can be handled in a more optimized way, as compared to other proprietary Operating Systems. Perhaps one of the best things, however, is the fact that it is free and can co-exist with other Operating Systems. More here [...]

43. Jason says:

Thank you Nadeem.

44. Dana Y says:

Thank you so much Nadeem. I have set up a server in my rack dedicated to running GNS3 in a Linux environment. Works flawlessly.

45. jo says:

konsole does not launch (flashes for few seconds on screen) on Ubuntu 9.10

@newbeus above reported this problem and I am getting the exact replica. Was this resolved, need some help.

Konsole is installed via package manager, devices are running and GNS3 has this line on the Terminal cmd:

Appreciate your feedback!

46. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ Dana
    I am glad that this article helped to setup a good money saving option for you.

47. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ jo

i am also on 9.10 this problem never happened. what i can suggest is to use default terminal for testing purposes. and see can you login into any device?
    If you can login using some other app, then its problem with konsole, else issues with GNS3.

Let me know your findings.

48. newbeus says:

@jo:

I have not been able to resolve the issue. I am trying others, but “no joy” so far.

49. Nadeem Rafi says:

@newbeus

do u tried to login to devices using any other terminal software? or you tried with default settings w/o changing to Konsole ?

50. newbeus says:

@jo:

As Nadeem said, I had syntax errors. When I copied and pasted from the blog I got the below (1). Which is what it looks like in the above write up. After checking the “Konsole Handbook” and cleaning my glasses, I saw my errors. This may help you.
    (1) /usr/bin/konsole –profile “gb” –new-tab -p tabtitle=%d -e telnet %h %p >/dev/null 2>&1 &

(2) /usr/bin/konsole –profile “gb” –new-tab -p tabtitle=%d -e telnet %h %p >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Nadeem, again great work, thank you.

51. newbeus says:

@jo

When I posted my corrections they came out with the same errors. It should be:

–profile
    minus minus profile (no spaces)

–new-tab
    minus minus new minus tab (no spaces)

52. Nadeem Rafi says:

@newbeus

Yes the issue is same… its only showing single minus not –. I will request a fix in original blog also.

53. tobie says:

hi guys, am i missing something here? Konsole KDE-4 is not working when im running gns3 as root. It just pops up and then disappear.
    But as a normal user, everything works fine.
    Any help??

Thanks in advanced!

54. tobie says:

oh never mind, i got it working.
    Thanks!

• Omar says:

Hi, I am having the same problem that you describe. When I open GNS3 as root (gksudo) Konsole opens and close immediately, if I open it as a normal user Konsole works fine, could you share the solution for this?

55. Nadeem Rafi says:

Please read few earlier replies, you can find solution. Even if you read blog carefully there is mentioned that blog software is missing one minus in konsole command line.

HTH

56. Dion Irani says:

Great article. Continue to logging more great stories. Computers are growing swifter and less money. Consumers are more developed to what is ready. Secondhand PC’s are a way to buy a cheap computer

57. Adroit says:

Hi guys this is very good post. Here are my two cents.

If you would like to access your devices using terminal with tabs like SecureCRT, create a launcher with the following command. Use Ctrl+PgUP and Ctrl+PgDn to switch between tabs.

Here is the command:

gnome-terminal –tab –title “R1″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2001″ –tab –title “R2″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2002″ –tab –title “R3″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2003″ –tab –title “R4″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2004″ –tab –title “R5″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2005″ –tab –title “R6″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2006″ –tab –title “SW1″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2007″ –tab –title “SW2″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2008″ –tab –title “SW3″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2009″ –tab –title “SW4″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2010″ –tab –title “BB1″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2011″ –tab –title “BB2″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2012″ –tab –title “BB3″ –command “telnet -a localhost 2013″

58. Nadeem Rafi says:

thanks Adriot, great tip.

59. tobie says:

Hi Nadeem Rafi,

have a question here mate:

have you tried using ip sla to to do some test for voip traffic?? I can’t get it to work on ubuntu 9.10. I mean, i’m getting RTT results, but the MOS value as well as the ICPIF is fixed on single value, MOS = 4.50 and ICPIF = 4719928667. Its working correctly on XP though.

And one more thing, same on ubuntu 9.10, I can’t get the correct result when i do the “show queueing interface” command, all I see is the queueing strategy, available bandwidth and all that stuff, BUT it doesn’t display the part with (depth/weight/total drops/no-buffer drops/interleaves), Conversations, ToS, Length, souce-port, destination-port..etc.. i mean i can only display the upper portion of the proper result of that command. I have 2 http traffic and 1 ip sla traffic goin on there, but it doesn’t display that lower portion of the output.

need help guys,

thanks mate!
    take care

60. Nadeem Rafi says:

@ tobie
    Sorry for late reply, but i was quite busy with studies and some office work.
    I have never tried your scenario, so i cannot comment about it.
    I hope some one else can put light on this.

61. Anish Peedikayil says:

Hello Rafi ,et al;

I’ve a setup where i’ve ubuntu 9.04 install on a server and the same on my laptop as well. I prefer having the load thrown on the server, hence get the dynamips running on the server and the gns3 frontend (as a root user)on my laptop. I’ve had the following issues recently:

1. I cannot save my topology (.net file) in my folder. I’ve used chmod & chown to give full privelege to this folder , but doesnt help. I’m aware of the open bug, but the workaround doesnt seem to work as well.

2. Do I’ve an option of running in usermode rather that a root in this kind of setup?

Kind regards,
    Anish
    anish_achenkunju@yahoo.com

62. Nadeem Rafi says:

regarding ist issue, you can give it a try to save as instead of normal saving. As you know its open bug, so nothing we can do regarding this issue.

For second issue, you can run it as a normal user, but it will complicate things. If you have good experience with Linux and you have enough spare time to spend on Linux instead of Cisco then its doable.

HTH

63. Larry says:

Thanks for finally clearing up some of the mysteries around gns3 on Ubuntu. The problem I have is still that it fails to start dynamips. Is there something further I can do to isolate this issue? From the command line “sudo dynamips -H 7200″ seems to start but not from gns3.

64. Mohammed Aftab Memon says:

Konsole is giving some problem most of the time as the hyphens are need to be modified.

Please check the below link. Its awesome.

Just install Roxterm and mention the terminal path in gns3 preferences.

# sudo apt-get install roxterm

/usr/bin/roxterm -p gns3 -n %d –tab -e telnet %h %p

65. Daniel says:

Thanks a Lot , Was Trying on my own , could not get it.
    waiting for my i7 processor to come , to take the load…
    anyways Thank you

66. Anggiat says:

Thanks for your article,
    but I have question for running gns3 on linux (ubuntu) and gns3 on windows where the most stable for both of them ?

67. Anoop says:

Brilliant effort! Thank you. Please keep posting useful stuff may be more labs.

68. Manickam says:

Wow… this is awesome…!!! Thanks a lot. You are thee best.

69. gerg says:

hi

i installed ubuntu on pendrive linux

i do the package manager stuff and install gns3

space on my pendrive is being used

if i reboot, my gns3 is GONE, every single time

i can not see the app in the menu, space is available again

any idea on why the app is gone? is it even possible to install and keep apps running on a pendrive install?

70. Tarun says:

Hi Nadeem
    Thanks a ton for the valuable information. For other users like me, i just want to share something.
    I did the way you have menttioned but I was not able to copy the IOS image to the “images” folder that we have created inside the gns3 folder….( step 2 of “configuring GNS3″ mentioned baove ), due to the “permissions” issue….

To deal with this situation:

Go to genome-terminal
    go to /gns3
    type : sudo chmod o+rw -R ./images

Now the system would allow you to copy the image .

You are gud to go from here onwards……

71. Omar says:

Hi, just wanted to know why we need 6 hypervisors? Is there any reason to have exactly 6? Thanks!!

72. Allen says:

This is a great tutorial… Now I’m done for the configuration on my GNS3 at Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks a lot..

73. Puspa Ammai says:

Awesome article ! ubuntu <3 :D simple and interesting.. btw, which theme are you using ?