Jul

As I mentioned in a blog article a few months back, INE installed 7961 phones in all of our Voice Racks used for customer rental, and simultaneously struck up an exclusive deal with the company called VoIP Integration so that our students could buy their fantastic Remote Phone Control Software at quite a significant discount. More students than I ever imagined would, have contacted me and received the INE Student Edition of this software for use during their studying sessions. In fact, many that already have phones of their own, bought the software just so that they could travel and stil practice labs – while on the road – with their phones and without having to pack up and take their phones with them.

This is the very tool we use during all of the live online and recorded CCIE Voice Deep Dive’s to show you exactly what is happening in real-time on the actual phones (which happen to be in front of me so that you can hear what is going on as well) for any given task we are all working through configuring or testing & troubleshooting.

Well, now VoIP Integration has updated their Remote Phone software to version 2.1 and brought quite a significant update in features. Standing out clearly in front of all of them – even in front of the great performance improvements – is support for IP Phones registered to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express and IOS CME as SRST!

I have provided the basic configuration here that you would need to support them in CME.  Important NOTE: Don’t forget the “type” command on your ephone. Without it, CME doesn’t actually build the CNF files for that phone, and while they will register using the Default.cnf.xml file, that file doesn’t contain the necessary Authentication URL.

!
!
ephone  1
 mac-address 001B.5452.D7BD
 type 7961
 button  1:1
!

Download it and give it a spin, and read more about the support (found in Appendix C) of their latest Administration Guide.

Also, If you would care to purchase a copy of INE’s Student Edition of the VoIP Integration Remote Control software, please ping me at msnow at ine dot com.

About Mark Snow, CCIE #14073:

Mark Snow has been actively working with data and traditional telephony as a Network Consulting Engineer since 1995, and has been working with Cisco Call Manager and voice-over technology since 1998. Mark has been actively teaching and developing content for the CCIE Voice track since 2005, and the Security track since 2007. Mark's story with both data and voice technology started out quite young, as he began learning around the age of five from his father who was a patented inventor and a research scientist at AT&T Bell Laboratories. Mark started out on Unix System V and basic analog telephony, and went on from there to large data networking projects with technologies such as Banyan Vines, IPX and of course IP, and large phone systems such as Nortel 61c, Tadiran Coral, Avaya Definity and of course Cisco Unified Communications Manager in both enterprise and 911 PSAP environments across the US and internationally. Mark is also an accomplished pilot and punched his ticket in 2001. When Mark isn't learning, labing, consulting or teaching, he can be found either piloting or possibly jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, hanging off a rock somewhere or else skiing out west. He also might just be enjoying a quiet day at the beach with his wife and two wonderful young kids, Ryleigh and Judah.

Find all posts by Mark Snow, CCIE #14073 | Visit Website

26 Responses to “Unified CME IP Phone Remote Control”

1. Abdul Weheliye says:

Hello Mark,

I am interested in Remote Phone Control Software from VoIP integration. Where can I get the INE student discount?

Thanks

2. I will email you offline Abdul.
    Thanks for you interest.

3. AJ says:

Mark, can you get me a INE student discount for the Remote Control Software from VoIP integration ?

Thanks

4. @AJ,

Thanks for the interest.
    I will email you offline with the specifics.

5. Basel says:

Mark,
    please mail it to me as well.

Thanks

6. AJ Sherard says:

Mark, I can’t redeem my INE student discount for the Remote Control Software from VoIP integration because it requires my last name. My last name is provided this time. Can you please send me another student discount voucher ? Thanks

7. @Basel and @ AJ Sherard,

Can you both send me a unicast email at msnow at ine dot com and I would be most happy to get you both processed with the INE Student Edition?
    Sorry AJ, I know you sent me one before, but I am on holiday at the moment, and don’t have access to your previous email quite as easily.

Cheers,

Mark Snow

8. @Basel and @ AJ Sherard,

I have processed both of these requests with VoIP Integration.
    Thanks for your interest.

-Mark

9. Trung Nguyen says:

Hi Mark,
    How’s going? I would like to receive one of the INE student discount for the Remote Control Software. Please send me an email

Thanks,

10. @Trung,

All taken care of!

Cheers,
    Mark

11. trung nguyen says:

12. Zahid says:

Hi Mark,

Will be grateful if you could email the details for the Student discount.

Regards,

Zahid

13. Johannes says:

Hi Mark,

May I ask you for a INE student discount for this software?

Thanks a lot!

Johannes

14. Monjurul Kader says:

Hello Mark,

I am new to INE. I would like to receive one of the INE student discount for the Remote Control Software. Please advise me through email.

Kader.

15. All taken care of – thanks for the interest everyone!

16. Chandana Prasad says:

Hi Mark,

I am interested about that software. Could you please email me the process.

Thanks
    Chandana

17. Ling Fu says:

Hi Mark,

Can I have INE student discount on Remote IP Phone Control software?
    Thanks.
    Ling Fu

18. All taken care of Ling, thanks for the interest!

19. Captin Sabapathy says:

Can I have INE student discount on Remote IP Phone Control software

20. muku says:

Hi Mark,

Can you please provide me with the INE student discount on Remote IP Phone Control software?

Thank you very much.

muku

• @muku,

We now have the 100% HTTP web-based Variphy Insight – Remote Phone Control software built directly into our Voice racks, available for use to all of our rack rental clients, completely free of any additional charge. This phenomenal software allows you to control all six IP phones that we have connected directly to each of our rentable Voice racks. See my updated blog post here for more details along with a comparison of different remote phone clients and their relative benefit for use as a CCVP/CCIE study mechanism.

All the instructions necessary to use this great new web-based software can be found here in this instructional video.

Also please note that we still support you using your own hardware phones at your location, with the help of a hardware VPN solution, all of which can be found here in our Voice Rack Rental Access Guide.

Cheers,
      Mark

21. Bart says:

Hello

Could you please provide me with the student discount on Remote IP Phone Control software?

• Hi Bart,

We now have the 100% HTTP web-based Variphy Insight – Remote Phone Control software built directly into our Voice racks, available for use to all of our rack rental clients, completely free of any additional charge. This phenomenal software allows you to control all six IP phones (five 7961′s and one PSTN 7960) that we have connected directly to each of our rentable Voice racks. It gives you the ability to control CME & SRST phones (both SIP & SCCP) as well as standard CUCM SIP & SCCP phones.

See this blog post for more details along with a comparison of different remote phone clients and their relative benefit for use as a CCVP/CCIE study mechanism.
      Also, please see this blog post for details on how we offer this service without the need for any sort of VPN connection.

22. Mike says:

Thanks for the post. Variphy’s Remote Phone Control is awesome. Easy to use and very helpful. Thanks Mark.