As you may know, I will be the lead instructor for our New CCIE R&S Advanced Technologies Class.  The class runs online, and will start Monday April 11th at 07:00 PDT (GMT -7).  If you have an All Access Pass subscription or purchased the live version of the R&S ATC in the past you can attend the live class free of charge by contacting sales. Space is limited so if you want to attend the live version you need to contact sales ASAP.

The class will run least 10 days (not consecutively), but may run as long as 12 – 15 days.  Each class day will run about 8 hours, but may run as long as 10 – 12 hours.  Right now the length of the class is open ended, because there is *so much* content that I’m going to be covering.  I don’t want to rush through topics or skip key topics just to make the class fit into a normal template.  Class length will also it depend on how many questions I get from students during the class.

The purpose of this post is to announce that I am taking student submitted topic requests for the class.  If there is something that you’re having trouble understanding during your studies, or have found something that is not covered in enough depth in other classes or products, submit your requests here as a comment, or directly to me via email at

I look forward to seeing you in class!

About Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13:

Brian McGahan was one of the youngest engineers in the world to obtain the CCIE, having achieved his first CCIE in Routing & Switching at the age of 20 in 2002. Brian has been teaching and developing CCIE training courses for over 10 years, and has assisted thousands of engineers in obtaining their CCIE certification. When not teaching or developing new products Brian consults with large ISPs and enterprise customers in the midwest region of the United States.

Find all posts by Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13 | Visit Website

46 Responses to “Submit Your Topic Requests for the New CCIE R&S Advanced Technologies Class”

1. Joshua Fontenot says:

ipv6 multicast, mld, ipv6 multicast pim

2. I would love to See QOS,MPLS,BGP,OSPF,EIGRP,RIP and list goes on..!!

3. sigey says:

i second @Joshua

4. Deepak Arora says:

Lets start with short list :-)

Multilink PPP, MPPE, PPP Authentication using EAP, Bridging over WAN, Detailed PPPoE, Complex Prefix Lists, Separate Section covering route filtering techniques for IGPs-BGPs-Multicasting and @ switches, IGMPv3, SSM, IPv6 Mcast, MLD, IPv6 ACL & Route Summarization, Binary maths and acl, IPv6 Tunnelings in detail, IPv6 redistribution and filtering, OSPF transit area capability, EIGRP Metric calculation, enhanced object tracking along with bolean expressions, BGP load balancing, Peer templates, Attribute map, table map, exist map, advertise map, conditional route injection, OER/PFR, MPLS L3 VPN, SHAM link, MSDP, Anycast RP, Bidirectional PIM, Multicast rate limiting, IGMP filtering, AAA, ZBF, EEM, RMON, SNMP, NTP, IP SLA, Netflow.

But in last I would say there should be detailed coverage of QOS which I personally feel is the section create problems for most of candidates. Also detailed coverage of 3650 QOS and SRR.

Best Regrds,

5. Manny says:

Hello Brian, My always favorite instructor. I honestly was waiting for this…
    OER all phases, in depth IP SLA, NetFlow, EEM, MSTP single and multiple region, QoS (cat QoS on 3550 & 3560, FRTS, GTS, WRED, Shaping, policing, Queuing, compression, RSVP, legacy QoS, etc…)…etc.

See you in the class Brian.

6. Bassam Alkaff says:

Same as Manny ^^, especially QoS topics like L2 QoS, FRTS, GTS, and legacy QoS. Also, PPPoE/A/FR, Bidirectional PIM, RMON, SNMP, WCCP

7. GIO says:

If it could cover adequately and follow closely the expanded blue print and provide a detailed index to find easily the subjects would be great.
    Thanks for your efforts !

8. Ian F says:

Hi Brian,

12-15 Days are you sure you will cover it all :)
    Will this product also be available to download when it becomes the class online version????

Anyway here is my 2 cents:

Frame Relay Switching and detailed examples of how to identify when to use Physicals or Point-to-Multipoint etc.
    IPv4/IPv6 Bridging
    Redistribution from a very simple example to difficult examples with Route-Maps etc
    MPLS – With specific attention to VRF Aware Apps/Services etc. Sham Links and SoO, Cost Index, allowas examples etc.
    Complex L2/STP examples including bridging
    PPPoE examples
    CoPP/NTP/ZBF in detail etc
    Updated QoS lectures and examples
    LACP/PagP in Detail
    PPP and MLP/MPPE
    OSPF Database in Detail + LSAs i.e. If Area 0 has x Routers and Area 1 has y Routers how many of type 1 or 3 LSAs should you expect etc..

9. ali says:

Hi Brian,

Will these live classes be recorded and provided to folks who have purchased the ATC CoD product in the past? If so approximately how long after the live class will the recording be available? Just so I can plan my studies as I don’t really want to use the “non-Brian” versions of the CoD in my member’s subsc.

10. Hussein says:

redistribution is my main and ipv6

11. Hussein says:

redistribution never explained in depth , with all the tricks , it’s always on the run during any other videos , please brian do me a favor .

• Michal says:

Thanks Briand and I think the IGP to BGP and BGP to IGP redistribution would also be very welcome , especially regarding how to approach the problem when you have multiple points of redistribution ; how to prevent the leaking of IGP originated routes when BGP to IGP redistribution is done i.e; are there any better mechanism of filtering than using dedicated community filtering when mutual IGP/BGP redistributions are done,
        Otherwise I’ve seen lot of problems when the IGPs had to keep the default summarizations enabled ( RIP and EIGRP) and still do the mutual redistributions in couple of places..

12. kenny says:

i liked watching stuff break during the old recorded advanced tech class, i learned alot watching brian troubleshoot with show commands etc

13. Ram says:

Redistribution explanation in depth including causes of routing loops.
    Explanation of Routing/Switching problems and resolutions in a professional environment.

14. ccieanna says:

Hi Brian

I have one request, I will be really happy if you can cover that.

The logic of spanning tree timers. Petr covered that in a blog entry.

But a video which shows the exact affect of the spanning tree timers
    would really help understand that topic.

15. Manny says:

Hi Brian, Is there way to provide us a test session? so that we can prepare ourself.

16. Junos says:

Not only by technology topics, I want a comprehensive.
    For example, routed fast convergence which is covered a L2/L3 technich(bfd, ip event dampening, ospf spf timer adjust, bgp next hop tracking, bgp mrai, ip frr etc).

• @Junos That’s an interesting concept. I won’t have time to go into all the details of convergence optimization during the ATC, but Petr and I could certainly schedule a class in the future that is dedicated just to optimizing large scale networks for high-availability. There are a lot of good design documents on where to start with high availability. Send me an email offline if you’d like the links to them. Thanks for the feedback!

• JunOS,

We do have a roadmap of classes that are centered around certain technology. The ATC is more like a mix of foundation technologies you need to know to start with CCIE preparations. Something compact yet comprehensive enough to give you introduction knowledge.

For the specialized classes we have things like High Availability, QoS Deploymet, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP and so forth. You may look for blogs posts that I made in the past – “OSPF Fast Convergence” and “Understanding BGP Convergence” that illustrate the type of information that will be covered in say High Availability class.

17. Ian F says:

Thanks Brian :)

Really looking forward to the HTML 5.
    If I can ask one more thing :)

If dealing with a strategy section – could you possibly address it from the point of view of:

Start LAB – Troubleshooting – 2 hours and counting what approaches should we take to deal with this i.e. limit each task to 10-12 minutes etc.

Main Config LAB – When we start, should we read through start to finish and record notes along the way.
    Draw Diagrams?? Sw Trunks and CDP Neighbor Connection Diagrams??
    Protocol Diagrams etc BGP?
    How to get through the Lab in time etc?

Many thanks Brian… Good luck with new product I know it will be amazing in the end!!!

18. Gavin says:

Hi Brian,
    Main things for me would be QoS on 3560, PPPoE and EEM. oh and those pesky IGMP timers…

19. Terry Vinson says:

This may sound silly, but could the duration times for each particular class in the new material get updated in the information section. It’s nice to be able to look at the list of classes and say, “The wife is going to be gone for three hours so I can probably knock out this one and that one.”

Additionally, is it your intention to make the ATCoD match the Volume 1 labs more closely (meaning topic by topic)? Or will the New ATC result in any changes to the Volume 1 Workbooks?

20. Brian
    I love to hear detailed explanation of QOS, QoS Overview, Components of QoS, MQC Classification and Marking Congestion Management, Congestion Avoidanc Policing and Shaping, Link Efficiency, Auto QoS on Security Equipment, QoS and Wireless

Manish Salaria

21. Nadeem Rafi says:

i would like to see more QoS, MPLS and services. If your sessions have already loaded with basic configs then you can move directly to the topic at hand which can save a lot of time and topics will be covered in more detail.

22. sebastan says:

Hi Brian,

I would like to know whether there going to be revamp of the vol 1 workbook and the new ATC will be using the vol1 workbook while explaining the scenarios.

I still use your old cod and till date there is no match to that content.

Really glad to see you back in full swing.

Thanks & Regards

23. Mohammad Paracha says:

I have no clue how EEM works. Multicast NTP and MPLS (Layer 2 VPN)

24. Mohammad Paracha says:

How to dedice whether to use BE or only BC when configuring QOS. Sometimes, I don’t understand the question as to whether Be is req

25. Mohammad Paracha says:

I was reading on DHCP. What is the option command does under DHCP For example: option 82 etc….

26. Manny says:

Hi Brian, My connection is 512 Kbps, do you think i won’t face any issue during the class?

Best Regards,

27. Shad says:

Hi Brian
    I think we need more in the ipv6,complex access and prefix lists , filtering and redistribution
    Complex labs,routing timers .
    In addition to have duration time for each session tagged with the description.
    Please post the power point slides in separate attachment with each module.

28. Michal says:

hello Brian , I would love to see a complex RSVP scenario with nested policy-maps involved in , with more than one sub-interface and having also voice classes enabled under some of the rsvp capable sub-interfaces. There are sometimes confusions regarding the final ressource provider for the rsvp in such scenarios.
    Thanks in advance for all the updates you’re planning.