As everyone knows we’re making a massive push to release more videos and moving over to a new delivery method (HTML5).  With this new solution we can support closed captions.  I’ve uploaded a sample CCIE Voice Deep Dive video with closed captions enabled to YouTube and wanted to know the community’s feedback as to the value it will add.

Click on the “cc” icon in the YouTube player to enable closed captions if they are disabled.

Closed captions will allow us to offer transcripts of the videos and allow every video to be searchable so you can quickly find which video covers a particular topic and the exact part of a video that it’s cover in. Additionally we’ll be able to link you to that exact part of the video. Let me know what you all think by commenting below.

About Brian Dennis, CCIE #2210:

Brian Dennis has been in the networking industry for more than 22 years, with a focus on Cisco networking for the past 16 years. Brian achieved his first CCIE in Routing & Switching in 1996, and is currently the only ten year CCIE that holds five CCIE certifications. Prior to working with INE, Brian taught and developed CCIE preparation courses for various well known training organizations. Brian not only brings his years of teaching experience to the classroom, but also years of real world enterprise and service provider experience.

Find all posts by Brian Dennis, CCIE #2210 | Visit Website

24 Responses to “Closed Captioning for INE’s New Videos?”

1. Carlos says:

Great news, I think the learning experience will be greatly enhanced….

2. Joe says:

Sounds great. I especially like that the videos would be searchable. Much easier to find that sticking point that I need to go over again.

3. Bitje says:

ine is clearly the leader in bringing innovative learning gear, this is a great move.

4. Mohanad says:

it’s amazing Brian…

The Voice / Video Quality is great

Keep going on :)

5. Malick Ndiaye says:

hello Brian,

Can you provide a time frame for the videos to be release??

Thanks in advance.

6. Zabeel Musa says:

Hello Brian, this is great new but I am also now guessing with the html5, these should be viewable on the ipad ?

7. GIO says:

Great !
    Very useful , in passing and listening I was very impressed about the way the voice VOD was organized.Great attention to the blue print and closer looks to the Cisco documentation and less slides.
    I think myself and many others hope that this is going to be the definitive work on CCIE R&S whatever many hours will take .
    Thanks for your efforts !

8. Crispy says:

Looked great on the ipad.

Audio and video was good. Scaled well (there is a mazimize option which puts it in the standard ipad video app viewer.

Unfortunately the option for the closed caption isn’t available … yet (I imagine this will be fixed in a youtube app update for the ipad).

Apart from that, it’s a good step in the right direction :-)

Chris P

9. Michael Serwon says:

Great idea. That would save me a great deal of time.

10. boh says:

I like the idea, it will help alot. :P thanks

11. Rash says:

Hi Brian,

It is a great add-on and gefinitely helps.

12. Abdul says:

Great feature, there were times I wanted to review a specific comments that the instructor stated during a lecture, and having an option to search through the video instead of watching the whole thing again would definately save time and enhance student’s learning. Thanks for INE.

13. john Smith says:

I think this is a fantasic idea and really required as your “video content” grows. Many times I have been looking though video’s trying to find what was covered where and then move to that section..

Closed caption would really help…

14. Roland says:

The quality is awesome! Will the previous videos be converted to the new format too? I have very slow performances accessing the videos from Europe.

15. Jon says:

Why would you *not* want to support captions? I have some minor hearing damage, and it is much easier for me to understand (and memorize) when I can read captions and hear the voice simultaneously. Working multiple areas of the brain is also good for learning.

16. Jens says:

That’s definitely a great idea and something I was always looking for! Being able to search through the videos and directly jump to the section I need is a great help. Keep it going!

17. Jeriel Atienza says:

Amazing feat.

The quality is great.

18. Antonio says:

Excellent news¡ it will help tremendously to the non-native english speakers, keep up that great work on enhancing your products!

19. Aki says:

Great stuff!!
    This will let us watch CoD on the go with our iPhone / iPad!! Please add this to other CoD stuff as well!! Thank you for your effort INE!

20. Brian says:

A lot better for my Mac book Pro compared to flash!Great work INE once again!

21. schoutentl says:

Hey Brian

I love the videos. They play quite nice on both android and apple tablets. One question would be an app for both those devices? Allowing for commuter use on plains or areas with low access to internet to study queued items. I can honestly say I would love that type of access.

22. Hristos says:

This is great news. It’s very helpful to search within the video for a specific entity.

23. Ray curci says:

it would be wonderful if there was a way to turn off the closed
    captioning. I am viewing the Service Provider Advanced technology class v3 and the RS Deep Dive – security and they are full of typos and very distracting.
    Ray Curci