Oct

I’m currently working on updating the Vol 2 Troubleshooting labs. I’m changing a good portion of the tickets and increasing the difficultly level of each lab. So if you’ve done the Vol 2 Troubleshooting labs in the past it’ll benefit you to go back through them. I’m also adding in a lot more layer 2, QoS, MPLS VPN and multicast related tickets. I hope to have this finished and uploaded sometime late next week or early the following week.

In addition to updating the Vol 2 Troubleshooting labs I’m currently working on a brand new Troubleshooting workbook for R&S. This one is based on a new rack topology that has 28 routers and 4 switches. Our new troubleshooting racks are being built now and we should start beta testing early next month. This workbook will support our new Troubleshooting racks, GNS3 and I even have a couple Cisco employees who are going to test the labs out for IOU support. Anyone who has our current workbook series will automatically receive the new Troubleshooting workbook free of charge.

I’ll be making another post later this month or early next month regarding additional updates and changes to our R&S workbooks. As always current customers will get the updated workbooks free of charge. Keep submitting any issues for our R&S workbooks using the feedback form in the members’s site. Weeks like this between teaching my brand new live R&S bootcamps I look through the reported issues to see if any updates are needed.

Over the coming weeks, you may notice blocks of racks being reserved as I’m having the 2600XMs removed and replaced with 2811s. The 2600XMs will replace the 2500s as the backbone routers. This will speed up the reload and rack reset times. The only changes you will see if that R1 and R2′s serial interfaces will now be S0/0/0 and S0/0/1 in contrast to S0/0 and S0/1. R1 and R2 will also have an additional Ethernet connection to SW1 and SW2 along with BB1 being connected by Ethernet to SW1 Fa0/24. These changes will not affect the current workbooks and our rack automation has already been updated to support the interface changes.

Our new CCNA and CCNP racks are being finished this week and should be available for rent after the recording of the CCNA and CCNP bootcamp videos this month.

Lastly we will be releasing new mock labs between November and the end of the year. These new mock labs will be based on a different physical rack topology than INE’s currently physical topology. I’ll post more information regarding them in the coming weeks.

If you have any specific questions regarding the R&S workbooks feel free to email me directly or post your comment below.

Good luck with your studies!

Brian Dennis, CCIEx5 #2210 (R&S/ISP-Dial/Security/SP/Voice)
bdennis@ine.com

If anyone was wondering what they get for $300 when you add-on the printed option to the R&S CCIE Workbook bundle see the image below. Since I’m working on the updates, I ordered a printed set for myself. I’ve been working on the electronic versions and knew it was a lot of material but was surprised at the sheer amount of material it is when it’s all printed out and laid on the floor in front of you.

ccie workbooks

About Brian Dennis, CCIE #2210:

Brian Dennis has been in the networking industry for more than 22 years, with a focus on Cisco networking for the past 16 years. Brian achieved his first CCIE in Routing & Switching in 1996, and is currently the only ten year CCIE that holds five CCIE certifications. Prior to working with INE, Brian taught and developed CCIE preparation courses for various well known training organizations. Brian not only brings his years of teaching experience to the classroom, but also years of real world enterprise and service provider experience.

Find all posts by Brian Dennis, CCIE #2210 | Visit Website

35 Responses to “Rack Changes and Updated Vol 2 Troubleshooting for CCIE R&S”

1. Rack Changes and Updated Vol 2 Troubleshooting for CCIE R&S http://t.co/vnlgd7uy via @inetraining #ccie

2. strangerq says:

^ Great news.

Took the lab recently.

Can confirm that TS is no joke. This is much needed.

thanks.

3. Rack Changes and Updated Vol 2 Troubleshooting for CCIE R&S: I’m currently working on updating the Vol 2… http://t.co/zkEM0Wq4

4. Rack Changes and Updated Vol 2 Troubleshooting for CCIE R&S: I’m currently working on updating the Vol 2… http://t.co/n9MowCNZ

5. michael says:

wow , interesting announcements! would be great to experience the new TS topology and tickets in the November’s bootcamp

• With the new format of the bootcamps, the mock labs are done after the bootcamp. After teaching two bootcamps recently I can tell you there isn’t enough time to cover everything in 5 days even when I lecture and do the hands-on demonstrations from 9am to 6pm each day. This is why I’m pushing it out to 10 days. The R&S CCIE lab today is so broad and there is so much to cover in the bootcamp. Anyone telling you that they can cover everything from Ethernet Switching, PPP, FR, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP, BGP, IPv6 (OSPFv3, EIGRP, RIPng, Tunnels, etc), MPLS VPNs, Multicast (IPv4 and IPv6), QoS, Security, IP Services (EEM, OER/PfR, etc) plus troubleshooting for all these technologies in just 5 days isn’t covering everything you need to know.

Everyone will get access to the new mock labs and troubleshooting labs included free of charge included with the bootcamp. Additionally as always previous bootcamp customers are also covered.

• michael says:

thank you Brian , I think it’s a good direction, If you attend physically the classes I think lectures, discussion and hands on demonstrations are more important. Thanks for helping out.

6. Jim S. says:

This is good news for everyone. Should I continue working with the current workbook or wait for the new one?

7. CCIE Routing and Switching Rack Changes and Updated Volume 2 Troubleshooting Labs – http://t.co/R52AQhcH

8. Daniel Dib says:

This is great news Brian!

How will the troubleshooting racks work, do they use IOU? Has Cisco approved this? Buying 28 routers would be a bit expensive for a rack I guess, Dynamips could probably scale with a decent machine but lacks too many features unless you combine them with real switches of course.

Looking forward to new material!

9. Laurent says:

Incredible work! Looking forward to start my CCIE R&S training;-)

Thanks a lot Brian for being such a professional!

/Laurent

10. kim says:

That’s a great news!!

how many labs wil be their in new workbook ?

are tickets still depondants on each other ?

what will be estimated rack cost , the new 28 router rack ;- ?

• The first release will contain 10 labs. The price of the workbook is undetermined as my primary goal is to get it written and out to all of our existing workbook customer free of charge. The new TS racks will be priced roughly the same as the current RS racks.

11. steven says:

in regards to the Moc labs ,
    Will you be doing either a workbook or bootcamp specifically for moc labs ?
    Stephen

12. Mohamed Saad says:

I’ve bought work books V1,2,3 is this new or it will update a current version … if it updates do I get it on pdf from the INE member area

• I’m working on additional updates and structural changes to the workbooks. We were the first the come out with the “volume” structure and the competition followed (along with almost everything else we’ve done, others have tried to follow: CoDs, detailed solution guides, mock labs, streaming subscriptions, mobile device support, etc, etc ,etc ;) . The volume structure was a good organization at the time but I know now it can be done better.

All updates and additions will be included free of charge as always. They will be added to your members site account automatically when released.

13. Derek says:

I have been building my home lab to mimic the INE topology. In regards to you changing R1 and R2 will you be putting WIC-2Ts into these routers? Does that mean you will be using a SmartSerial to DB25 serial DTE/DCE cable do connect to R3 and the frame switch? Also, will your posted startup configs also get updated to reflect the hardware changes?

Thanks

• The serial connections for R1 and R2 will remain the same (first serial to the FRS and the second serial to R3). The interface numbering will change slightly with the ISRs. The numbering will go from S0/0 to S0/0/0 and S0/1 to S0/1/0. I have connected the second FastEthernet interfaces on R1 and F2 to SW3 Fa0/1 and SW4 Fa0/2 respectively. Additionally BB1 is now also connected by FastEthernet to SW1 Fa0/24. The BB routers are all now 2600XMs.

14. Rob DeWeese says:

Wow this is amazing! I think that all students will bennefit from real rental racks for tshoot. IOU is also a great idea!

15. dayo says:

This is great news! Especially for the TS section. With the new TS rack topology, will I still be able to use my already purchased tokens? I am hoping this should still work in the new platform?

Also I purchased one of the bundles, didnt include the bootcamps but I see you say it will be included with the new platform for existing members? Am i correct?

16. Bhardley says:

Hi Brian,will there be an update as well on the Advance Troubleshooting VoD since this is quite big update on the workbooks.

Kind regards
    Brian

17. Josua Taljaard says:

Excellent news Brian!… the TS was a big concern and I felt it needed some changes on INE side…. as always …you guys keep improving the material as needed!… thanks for the effort!!!…I’ll be seeing you in Miami in December…. to get as much knowledge transfer as humanly possible…!!! now…back to the racks for me!

18. Bhardley says:

Hi Brian,will there be a an update on Advance Troubleshooting VoD..Since there is a significant update on the troubleshooting Workbooks?

19. Hamood says:

Brian,

It will be very helpful if you can simulate the cisco lab exam environment in the moc labs , like enforcing using putty , their type of diagrams ..

20. frodoski says:

Hi Brian…

Have you made any changes to the rack topology yet? How did the testing of the topologies using IOU for the troubleshooting setup go?

I know this was a while ago…just checking.

Kurt

21. fpippo says:

Hi Brian,

any news about the new class?

Regards

FP

22. alex says:

Hi Brian, what’s the ETA for this new troubleshooting book?