Mar

At INE we’re always looking for ways to improve our offerings, with the ultimate goal of helping you – our customers – learn new technologies in the fastest in most efficient way possible.  Over the past year we’ve nearly finalized our migration from Flash based video delivery to our new HTML5 streaming and download formats, which allowed us to offer enhancements such as cross-platform support (e.g. Apple iOS, Android, etc.), bookmarking and notation of videos, and searchable text transcripts.  We’ve gotten a lot of good feedback as to these changes and are so far very happy with the results.

With a number of new upcoming product releases, one of the most notable being our new CCIE Service Provider Version 3.0 Lab Workbook, I’d like to pose a question to our customer base: how do you learn best?  Some delivery formats, such as streaming video, work best for some learners, while others prefer more traditional methods like printed books.  Please spend a moment to take the poll below and comment on what works and doesn’t work for you in your studies.  This will help us better understand how we can enhance our offerings in the future.

Thanks!

I learn best when content is delivered as...

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

About Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13:

Brian McGahan was one of the youngest engineers in the world to obtain the CCIE, having achieved his first CCIE in Routing & Switching at the age of 20 in 2002. Brian has been teaching and developing CCIE training courses for over 10 years, and has assisted thousands of engineers in obtaining their CCIE certification. When not teaching or developing new products Brian consults with large ISPs and enterprise customers in the midwest region of the United States.

Find all posts by Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13 | Visit Website

8 Responses to “Content Delivery Survey: How Do You Learn Best?”

1. Rodney Treadvance says:

There seems to be good lab content at the CCIE expert level, this appears to the be the focus of most of the vendors providing this training, but there seems to lack of lab content at the CCNP professional level certifications, I would like to see the training vendors provide more lab content at the CCNP level which could help the student transition to that next level. I don’t see any vendors taking this approach to this type of training.

2. Youssef El Fathi says:

Hello Brian, I chose the electronic workbooks because I prefer to work in real Lab conditions and it served me for my RS CCIE. And for the downloadable videos, it is suitable for transport and when I don’t have Internet Access.

3. APF says:

I still like a good dead tree; when studying I like to work with one or two books on the topic. I like PDF’s for the convenience for a quick reference but I find them too frustrating when trying to study, if your flicking back and forward between different sections its easier with a book than an iPad.

There are two nice things CBT Nuggets provide which I would like to see here, the first is variable playback speed on streaming videos. Sometimes it would be nice to do a cram session when the video is playing at 1.25x or 1.5x speed. The other nice thing would be downloadble audio versions of training videos for the drive to and from work. As it stands i’m sure I could extract the audio but I really can’t be bothered yet. :)

4. Paul Bard says:

I agree with APF regarding wanting to be able to play the videos faster. It make the videos alot easier to watch when you are able to speed them up.

5. jamesmala says:

I also would like to have audio of the videos to be able to listen to. Sometimes i am makeing a long drive and would love to listen to the audio at times.

I am not into the printed material since they do get real heavy. With the e-books i can keep a lot on the computer and search them when i have a question about something or to study when i have time.

6. dcancerian says:

I prefer video and electronic format because they are easily accessible provided. Moreover everything is fine as long as they contain good stuff.

7. Brannen says:

Agree with the others about downloadable audio for listening to while driving, yardwork, running, etc. A lecture on audio is fine, but not a live classroom recording – unless the instructor is careful to verbalize everything being typed into a cli.

For the videos of the recordings of live classrooms – please either place microphones near the students for questions, or have the instructor repeat the question, so the whole class (including us virtual students) can hear the question and the answer. And for live classes which are being recorded, please have the instructors verbalize more – what might be clear to a live student, doesn’t necessarily come across well on a recording, especially an audio only recording.

Love INE. :)

8. John says:

Like others have stated, I like the downloadable video’s, not so much for when I don’t have internet access, but because I can FF through them and find exactly what I am looking for faster. After that, electronic examples of configs are what I use the most.