Jan

A number of people had indicated that they thought my CCNA-to-CCIE-in-a-Year program was a bit aggressive for those with both family and job life to consider, so I’ve revised the plan into an 18-month plan, and also added a downloadable XLS spreadsheet to assist you in your studies. Simply plug in your starting date, and the spreadsheet should keep you on task on a week-by-week basis. Here’s the link to my previous blog post where you’ll find the updated plan to download, as well as links to all of the products used in the plan: From CCNA Voice to CCIE Voice in One Year – A Detailed Study Plan – REVISED Dec 31, 2012

About Mark Snow, CCIE #14073:

Mark Snow has been actively working with data and traditional telephony as a Network Consulting Engineer since 1995, and has been working with Cisco Call Manager and voice-over technology since 1998. Mark has been actively teaching and developing content for the CCIE Voice track since 2005, and the Security track since 2007. Mark's story with both data and voice technology started out quite young, as he began learning around the age of five from his father who was a patented inventor and a research scientist at AT&T Bell Laboratories. Mark started out on Unix System V and basic analog telephony, and went on from there to large data networking projects with technologies such as Banyan Vines, IPX and of course IP, and large phone systems such as Nortel 61c, Tadiran Coral, Avaya Definity and of course Cisco Unified Communications Manager in both enterprise and 911 PSAP environments across the US and internationally. Mark is also an accomplished pilot and punched his ticket in 2001. When Mark isn't learning, labing, consulting or teaching, he can be found either piloting or possibly jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, hanging off a rock somewhere or else skiing out west. He also might just be enjoying a quiet day at the beach with his wife and two wonderful young kids, Ryleigh and Judah.

Find all posts by Mark Snow, CCIE #14073 | Visit Website

12 Responses to “18 Month Plan Released for CCNA-to-CCIE Voice”

1. Disar says:

Is it possible to make the file a PDF versus placing it in dropbox? My company is not a big fan of dropbox and I would like to view it. Thanks!

2. Kamran says:

thanks! can we have a spreadsheet version for R&S too? I know Petr has a post but I don’t think you guys have a xsheet like the one you created. That’d really help.

3. Sam says:

Mark,

Isnt CCIE Voice lab exam going to change mid-june/july onwards. They will have the version 9. So how will this study plan help?

• That rumor has been around for over a year now. The only real information will come out of LearningatCisco when they are ready. I would recommend following them on Twitter to know when it changes. Also, when the lab does change, everything you are studying here will still be applicable. There will certainly be some additional material to study (much of which we have already completed), but it won’t take away from anything on this list. Fundamentals stay the same.

4. Ciprian Stroe says:

Hello INE Community and Hello Mr. Mark Snow,

Regarding the previous post, do you think my 5 X 7961 G-GE phones will be still good enough when the exam will be moved to the 9.0 platform ? I’m not planning on waiting for it to change, actually I am currently studying and attending the London May ’13 bootcamp, but … as the pass rate is really low for first time CCIE takers, I wanted to consult you on this.

Mark, thank you very much for the updated study plan !!

Kind regards,
    Ciprian.

• It’s possible that they’ll still be enough, but I would doubt that is what the lab is using then. I would expect that they’ll have 8945′s and maybe 9971′s and possibly even a few EX60′s (though those are much more likely to be used in the CCIE Video if they ever build that cert and get it out the door).

5. Lukas says:

hi,

would it be possible to get something like this for voice, also for other tracks like Sec, DC, SP,… ? Would be awesome!

6. Mauricio says:

Since the CCNA DC,CCNP DC and CCIE Data Center are brand new, can we have this also for this track? that would be tremendously useful.

Thanks!

7. Christopher Heffner says:

Mark,

Long time no see or hear buddy.

Do you know if Brian will do a similar spreadsheet for the new CCIE Security 4 track?

I could see this being a very useful tool for all the CCIE tracks and helping us “students” treat their CCIE studies like a set of long college courses with predefined study and lab schedules.

Hope to see all you guys in Melbourne and Orlando this year.

Thanks in advance buddy.

Christopher Heffner – CCIE #8211, CCSI #98760

• Hey Chris,

Great to hear from you, and we’ll definitely look for you in Orlando. We’ll be throwing another big customer appreciation party, so you’ll have to stop by.
      I think the goal is to produce one of these for every track, though I don’t have a definite date on them as of yet. Will try to get an update and post some guidance on the blog soon.

Take care, and look forward to Orlando.
      -Mark

8. arm says:

Basic question, what is the best option for learning to CCIE Voice (I have only CCNA) from scratch? Buying needed devices (building a home lab) ot using from virtual lab on INE resources?

Thank in advance.