May

I’m going through R&S Volume II Workbook for the final time before starting on the new R&S CCIE Version 5 labs. If you have any requests as to what you would like to see added to this final revision let me know.

The main focus of this final update will be the first 10 labs. My plan is that after the first 10 labs are done I’m going to go back and create a few different variants of these labs (one with more IP services, one with more IGP, one with just core topics, etc). Additionally I’m going to kill off the Troubleshooting porton and add in full scale Troubleshooting labs using our Troubleshooting racks (28 ISR’s and 4 switches).

Once this is released it will mean the Vol 3 and Vol 4 workbooks will be incorporated into the updated Vol 2. We will have two workbooks for the R&S version 4 blueprint at that point.

Update: I received a lot of questions as to the R&S version 5 update and this update. If you own the version 4 workbooks (Vol 2, 3 or 4) then you will receive this update free of charge. If you own any of the R&S workbooks (Vol 1, 2, 3 or 4) then you will be receive the R&S version 5 workbook when it’s released. All of the R&S version 5 material will be in a single workbook. We will start releasing the new technology focused labs for IOS 15.1T and 15.3T around July once this update is done.

About Brian Dennis, CCIE #2210:

Brian Dennis has been in the networking industry for more than 22 years, with a focus on Cisco networking for the past 16 years. Brian achieved his first CCIE in Routing & Switching in 1996, and is currently the only ten year CCIE that holds five CCIE certifications. Prior to working with INE, Brian taught and developed CCIE preparation courses for various well known training organizations. Brian not only brings his years of teaching experience to the classroom, but also years of real world enterprise and service provider experience.

Find all posts by Brian Dennis, CCIE #2210 | Visit Website

40 Responses to “R&S CCIE Volume II Workbook – Final Update”

1. ToxicAvenginator says:

More PfR in the WB please

2. anna says:

More on layer 2 security technologies

3. mhonsky says:

Hi Brian,

If the Vol II WB will be updated, does it mean VOL III WB updates already done? I’m very happy to see the approach on VOL III WB.

Cheers,mhonsky

4. Abhishek says:

Hi Brian,
    By version 5th, do you mean the new CCIE Lab which is rumoured to be announced this year or its the continuation of the present blueprint?

• It’ll be for the new blueprint when they announce it.

• Andrea Florio says:

What do you mean exactly? are you telling us that blueprint v5 is going to be released soon? what about all the people that just gave the written exam (last week) and are no way close to pass the lab? are we supposed to start from scratch and give lab v5 ?

and also, what about people that recently bought 2000USD worth ccie rs bundle? any chance to get the updates for version 5, or will we be stuck on a soon to be obsolete course?

5. Daniel says:

Hi Brian,
    Any idea when the final version will be released ?

6. Nicholas O'Neill says:

Hi Brian

When do you expect the new Vol 2 to be available? And just so I understand Vol 2 will contain Troubleshooting Labs based on your specialised Troubleshooting racks? I have my lab booked for the end of July and it sounds like this would make for some great preparation.

Thanks

7. Deepak Arora says:

What about customers either own Vol 3 or Vol 4. Will they get access to new vol 2 in free than ?

8. Dustin B. says:

If we have already purchased the existing workbooks, will we get the updated workbooks, or will these need to be repurchased?

9. luis says:

when is ccie turning to V5?

10. Carlos says:

I think you could include more MPLS cases.

11. kenyonej says:

Hi Brian,

I’m just curious, do you think the lab you are teaching in October will be for version 5?

12. Tom S says:

I’m still in the very early stages of building a home lab, can you give us any ideas on what hardware v5 will be using in the INE lab, for example is there any point in getting 3750/3560 v1′s that can’t run IOS 15.x?

13. Jey says:

Brian,

Normally how long do you get to take the LAB exam once Cisco announces the V5 ?

I am done with WB1 and is moving onto WB2 and hoping to sit my CCIE lab in August and then a possible re-sit in September.

Would I be better off waiting for your final release of WBII ?

I also noticed the QOS has changed on WBI from the version I downloaded in March all-though it does not state a new date on the web.

14. Jey says:

Can we also get more PPP and Multilink Interleaving ?

I heard that most Lab exams contain this and I did the task 10.6 in QOS but it really did not make sense over 1 link.

Thanks !

15. Alvic says:

Hi Brian,

When you say “All of the R&S version 5 material will be in a single workbook”, does this mean no more volumes. I mean I only own volumes 1 & 2 right now, so when v5 workbook is out, no need for me to purchase volumes 3 or 4 (in case I want to own all) as I will now also get them (free) in this “one” v5 workbook?

I’m sorry if my understanding is incorrect. Just thinking if I will still need to purchase volumes 3 & 4 because of this v5 update.

16. Saleh says:

Hi
    I own WB2 and WB2-Dynamips. Will I get the new WB2 V4 and also the V5

17. mhonsky says:

Hi Brian,

When are you going to release the new updated WB II?

Many thanks!

18. Gary says:

Hi Brian, as I currently own workbooks vol 1, 2 and 3, so will the vol 3 contents be transferred into the vol 2? What about the contents in vol 4 which i do not have it? Also, for CCIE R&S v5 track, will I be entitled to the free workbook and video updates if I had purchased the INE CCIE v4 products in year 2012?

19. Roy says:

Any guess about which IOS Version the Switches will use in V5?

20. Sam says:

That means if I have ver 4 hardcopies I should be getting v5 hardcopies or just software PDF updates?
    Also if I’m taking the exam in 2-3 months. what do you recommend? Shall I try to practice Vol2 v5 or stick to v4 till the end?

21. Dennis says:

Hi Brian,

I am about to start practicing the lab on my equipment at home. Should I practice with the V4 workbook or wait for V5? Also, will the hardware change with V5? Thanks.

22. Ciprian says:

Hi Brian,

Do you think or know whether cisco will announce CCIE R&S change to v5 at cisco live in June ?

Looking forward for october 2 week class !!!

Thanks.

23. Jey says:

I noticed in WBI we got some tasks for Cisco 3550 but this is not on the CIsco CCIE R&S Hardware list, so those could be removed off WB1 ?

I am not sure if WBII has any tasks related to C3550 as I just started with Lab1 today.

24. Darryl Akeung says:

Hi Brian, any idea when WBII, WBIII and WBIV will be compiled into one ?

25. Sam says:

In light of these changes how do you expect/guess the hardware will change? Will the 3560 switches still suffice or do you think 3750′s will be on the menu? Will R1-R6 as 1841/2811 still suffice?(i guess they do support the latest IOS 15.1T. Will you be updating your racks?

So many questions in one post, hope you find the time to address them.

26. Ben says:

Any news on the updates?

27. Mike says: