Mar

The Application Control Engine (ACE) 4710 has been removed from our normal CCIE Data Center rack rental topology, and is now available as a standalone rack rental.  From now until Sunday March 23rd 2014 you can book ACE rack rentals for free.  To book ACE rentals, login to your http://members.ine.com account, click the Rack Rentals option on the left, and you should see the ACE scheduler as seen below:

Click the Schedule/Cancel Session button, and the calendar window will appear.  Select your start and end date, and if it is within the beta period it will show a zero token cost for the session.  Note that during the beta period you can only reserve blocks of 4 hours at the most.

ACE rack rentals include the following:

• ACE 4710 Appliance
  • Catalyst 3750G Switch
  • 3 x Apache Server Virtual Machines
  • 1 x Windows Client Virtual Machine

The topology for ACE rack rentals looks as follows:

Although the ACE 4710 is End-of-Life, there is still a large install base of these boxes in the field. Even if you’re not preparing for the CCIE Data Center Lab Exam it can’t hurt to see how the ACE works, as other load balancers & application switches such as Citrix NetScaler or F5 Local Traffic Manager use the same type of logic for traffic switching.

About Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13:

Brian McGahan was one of the youngest engineers in the world to obtain the CCIE, having achieved his first CCIE in Routing & Switching at the age of 20 in 2002. Brian has been teaching and developing CCIE training courses for over 10 years, and has assisted thousands of engineers in obtaining their CCIE certification. When not teaching or developing new products Brian consults with large ISPs and enterprise customers in the midwest region of the United States.

Find all posts by Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593, CCDE #2013::13 | Visit Website

15 Responses to “CCIE Data Center ACE Rack Rentals”

1. Roy says:

Thank you for this Brian.

I have worked on Local Directors, CSS’s, and F5′s. The ACE 4710′s were very much harder to work on than any of them. I ended up teaching myself about the ACE’s. The ACE is more like an ASA than an F5. And its configuration also helped me to pick up QoS configurations a lot quicker too.

2. Roy says:

So now that these (ACE 4710) are going away what is replacing them? I see Cisco partnered with Citrix (Nexus and Citrix). Does that mean Cisco is offloading the load balancing portion to Citrix? Are they moving away from the LB market? I never used the Cisco ACE but I heard they are horrible. Just curious.

3. Ali says:

I love you for this – lol

4. Deepak Arora says:

F5 Seems to be market leader in Lan Based Load Balancer category. Any Plans to come up with Self Placed F5 Course in 2014 ?

5. Alex says:

Thanks Brian,
    I am working on my skills for CCIE DC, and as you stated ACE is EoL. Is it essential to know ACE for the Lab (does it covers a large portion of marking) or I can skip?
    Thanks

6. giljubal says:

This morning I made ​​my first virtual lab on your site, “CCIE Data Center ACE”.
    I have to say that the platform is very powerful, I have had no problem.
    In the configuration 3 interface ports of ACE i look a description “To N5K1 E1/14″, but in the drawing, there are no N5K to configure.
    There is a workbook for this lab?

Thanks.

7. Bryan Middleton says:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the post, I am definitely going to take a look at the lab. Are there any plans for you to do some videos around ACE/load-balancing/ ADCs? I would definitely be interested if you were to do something with F5′s, both labs and videos – trying to gain relevant practical knowledge and skills in F5 without having the opportunity to work with the kit regularly is nigh on impossible, also a catch 22 as many jobs advertising for F5 skills also want experience…………

Thanks
    Bryan

8. Mitch says:

I’m preparing for the DC exam. I This will certainly help me…

(•_•)