Here are some facts regarding this portion of the exam:
- You must complete this portion of the exam before you start the traditional configuration portion.
- You have a total of 30 minutes to complete this section, you may finish early if you like and immediately begin your configuration section.
- You will receive 4 questions via the computer and you must provide short answers using the computer interface. The questions are not oral in nature. Typical responses require 4 to 5 words at most.
- Spelling and/or grammar does not count against you.
- The questions are manually graded by a proctor. If you purchase an exam re-read, they will re-grade your question responses.
- You may not return to the short answer questions once you have begun the configuration portion of the lab exam.
- You will not receive a score when you complete this section, but you must pass this portion to pass the CCIE. You will receive your score in the open-ended section if you fail the exam. The score is reported as 0% or 100% (pass or fail). You may only miss one question in the section in order to pass.
- Most students finish the 4 to 5 questions in approximately 12 minutes.
- The configuration portion of the exam has been reduced to accommodate this initial 30 minutes.
- You still have a total of 8 hours that makeup the open-ended questions and the configuration portion.
- You may not access the DOC-CD to answer these questions.
- Using materials for the CCIE Written is an excellent method of studying for the Short Answer questions.
Here are some samples for the many, many different open-ended questions Cisco could ask for the R/S track. Please notice there is no need for panic if you are using one of our recommended study approaches.
Bridging and Switching
- What is the size of the 802.1Q tag?
- Examine the diagram shown, describe the flow of traffic in VLAN 12 from Switch A to Switch D.
- What is the trunk setting that allows the port to trunk only if the port receives the proper DTP frames?
IP IGP Routing
- What are the five possible metric components for EIGRP and which two are used by default?
- Given the network diagram shown, what is the path traffic will take from Router A to Router B?
- OSPF bases cost on what value?
- Which routing protocol uses a destination Multicast address of 184.108.40.206?
- What issues can the use of a peer group solve in BGP?
- What are the default administrative distances for BGP?
IP and IOS Features
- How can a Cisco router assist a client PC to obtain a DHCP address from a DHCP server located on a remote subnet?
- What technology allows a router to respond to the name resolution request of a host as if it were the destination host itself?
- Which multicast PIM method uses a flood and prune approach?
- Which option for RP assignment is an open standard?
- What is the purpose of the override keyword when statically setting an RP?
- What happens to traffic in the priority queue of the LLQ method that exceeds the specified rate?
- Which bits of the ToS byte are used for DSCP markings?
- Between AF21 and AF32, which has the higher drop probability?
- Given the access list and assignment shown in the diagram, what happens to Telnet traffic?